Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Do you suffer from insomnia?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 8:50 PM
  • 27 Replies
  • 400 Total Views

Do you know what causes yours, and what, if any, remedy works best for you? I have intermittent sleeplessness, and I find melatonin works well for me. I believe mine is caused by stress.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/insomnia_treament.htm

Dawn
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GMMC
by Angie's Shadow ;) on Aug. 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh wow...

I don't suffer from it at chronic level...but just overall...I suffer night sweats and restless leg syndrome...but do agree...meditation is the way to go for me!

I just started again this last week and I forgot how amazing they are! 

wenuck
by Moonshine on Aug. 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I just find when I am stressed and have alot on my mind I cant sleep. But I dont think I have insomnia.
wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on Aug. 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM
2 moms liked this
I used too, but since I started taking Celexa I have no problem sleeping.
mamadee1971
by Bronze sister on Aug. 30, 2014 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Only if I'm really stressed, but, I take a melatonin only when I need it.

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Aug. 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I go several nights in a row sleeping little to none. And by night 3 I actually go into a panic attack the second my head hits the pillow because I want so badly to sleep and I'm so exhausted my anxiety is multiplied.
DanaG70
by Rock Chalk on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a strange sleep pattern, I can go for weeks with little to no sleep, than I can for weeks where I go to bed on a regular schedule, just to turn around and not sleep well again. Believe it or not, it has a lot to do with my hypothyroidism. 

anyway, a glass of wine will knock me out long enough for me to get into REM.

Manth
by Manth on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:25 AM

I have Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome.  This means I CANNOT fall asleep easily but once I do I generally sleep OK for about 8 hours (unless I am awakened by an alarm early).  It doesn't matter WHAT time I woke that morning, what time the alarm is set to go off the next morning, I rarely fall asleep before 1 am and later is very common - last night it was 4 am!  Since my alarm goes off at 5.30 am most mornings of the week, I am chronically short on sleep.

I've tried LOTS of options to get better sleep - melatonin, 'sleep training' where you wake at the same time every day, including weekends, sleeping pills - but nothing seems to work for me because of the DSPS.  Currently I'm taking a tranquilliser (part of my meds for my major depression and anxiety) as part of my night-meds regime and it does seem to make me sleepy somewhere between 11 pm and midnight.  Once I'm feeling slightly sleepy, I usually hit the shower (it relaxes me and makes me sleepier) then go straight to bed and sometimes I even get to sleep before 1 am!  But later is more common.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Sleepy time tea an hour before bed time

Quoting Manth:

I have Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome.  This means I CANNOT fall asleep easily but once I do I generally sleep OK for about 8 hours (unless I am awakened by an alarm early).  It doesn't matter WHAT time I woke that morning, what time the alarm is set to go off the next morning, I rarely fall asleep before 1 am and later is very common - last night it was 4 am!  Since my alarm goes off at 5.30 am most mornings of the week, I am chronically short on sleep.

I've tried LOTS of options to get better sleep - melatonin, 'sleep training' where you wake at the same time every day, including weekends, sleeping pills - but nothing seems to work for me because of the DSPS.  Currently I'm taking a tranquilliser (part of my meds for my major depression and anxiety) as part of my night-meds regime and it does seem to make me sleepy somewhere between 11 pm and midnight.  Once I'm feeling slightly sleepy, I usually hit the shower (it relaxes me and makes me sleepier) then go straight to bed and sometimes I even get to sleep before 1 am!  But later is more common.

rmebrat1020
by rmebrat on Aug. 31, 2014 at 1:23 AM

I suffer severly with it. I will be awake for days if I do not take my ambien. Sometimes I just don't want to take it because I don't want to rely on it. I have gone 5-6 days and "crashed" and slept 24 hours. Mine is caused by my depression and anxiety.

I have on occassions laid in bed imagined that there was a light switch to my brain and turned it off. Then thought of my "happy" place and starting at my toes told them good night until they almost felt numb.

That works sometimes.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Manning Fan on Aug. 31, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Restless leg syndrome is a well known robber of sleep; that is wonderful that you can shut it down usuing your mind.

Quoting GMMC:

Oh wow...

I don't suffer from it at chronic level...but just overall...I suffer night sweats and restless leg syndrome...but do agree...meditation is the way to go for me!

I just started again this last week and I forgot how amazing they are! 

Dawn
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)