Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forgot to Thaw the Turkey: Advice Please!!!

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 662 Total Views

So I bought a frozen turkey that is just under 12 lbs.  I had planned to take it out of the freezer yesterday afternoon to thaw, but completely forgot.  On my way to work this morning I remembered.  I can go home at lunch--this gives me just under 3 days.

Normally, I would plan a later Thanksgiving meal and we would be fine, but my SIL has to be at work (thanks Macy's) at 6 pm this year, so we moved dinner up to 1:30 pm.  So everything needs to start earlier.  

Given this, would you buy a fresh turkey and call it a day?  The frozen one was on sale, and we could use it another time.

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM
6 moms liked this
For a quick thaw-cold water allow 30 minutes per pound. Place turkey breast down in sink with cold tap water. Change tap water every 30 minutes.
LIMom1105
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I've done this before, but given timing this year, I don't think I have time to do thawing in water.  But thanks for the info!

Quoting wildchild.com: For a quick thaw-cold water allow 30 minutes per pound. Place turkey breast down in sink with cold tap water. Change tap water every 30 minutes.

ashleighmama
by Ash on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, this....

Quoting wildchild.com: For a quick thaw-cold water allow 30 minutes per pound. Place turkey breast down in sink with cold tap water. Change tap water every 30 minutes.

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

When are you putting the turkey in the oven? If not until Thanksgiving, you still have time for a cold water thaw. In fact, I would just leave the bird in the fridge to thaw until tomorrow, to let it thaw more on its own before putting it in cold water. Are you in a hurry because you're going to do a dry-brine, using kosher salt?

Quoting LIMom1105:

I've done this before, but given timing this year, I don't think I have time to do thawing in water.  But thanks for the info!

LIMom1105
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

No, we're eating earlier because my SIL has to work that evening, so my times are moved up.  I was just doing the math again--I probably need to start cooking it by 9:30 am, so I could get up early and do a cold water thaw for awhile.  

Can you do the cold water thaw the day before?  I've always done it the morning of if the center is still icy.

Quoting MentorMom1:

When are you putting the turkey in the oven? If not until Thanksgiving, you still have time for a cold water thaw. In fact, I would just leave the bird in the fridge to thaw until tomorrow, to let it thaw more on its own before putting it in cold water. Are you in a hurry because you're going to do a dry-brine, using kosher salt?

Quoting LIMom1105:

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver sister on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Cold water in the sink or if large turkey. Maybe bathtub. Change the water every 20 minutes.
lady-t3984
by Tina on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this
You have plenty of time! I would put Tommy Bird in the fridge tonight,by Wed if it isn't thawed,start doing the cold water soaks. But, I did the math, I think Tommy Bird need to be in oven 8:30 instead of 9:30,just to cover yourself. Everything will be fine,Happy Thanksgiving!
MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

So then, are you putting the turkey in on Thanksgiving morning at 9:30? Or on Wednesday? I'm not sure I understand. Let me know and we'll back it in from when you plan to cook.

Quoting LIMom1105:

No, we're eating earlier because my SIL has to work that evening, so my times are moved up.  I was just doing the math again--I probably need to start cooking it by 9:30 am, so I could get up early and do a cold water thaw for awhile.  

Can you do the cold water thaw the day before?  I've always done it the morning of if the center is still icy.

Quoting MentorMom1:

Quoting LIMom1105:

romalove
by Sister on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I think I saw once on Good Eats with Alton Brown that you can thaw it faster if you put it in a pot filled with water, in a sink that can drain, and run a drip drip drip from the faucet into the pot.  You don't have to keep changing the water, just an almost tiny stream of water creates convection in the pot and will thaw the turkey very quickly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)