Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rosetta Stone?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 481 Total Views
I'm thinking about asking for Rosetta Stone as my Christmas present. We are traveling to Quebec and Montreal this summer and I thought it might be nice if I tried to learn some French. Hubs and I would also like to travel through Europe one day when the kids are up and out… A second language could always be helpful.

Does anyone have any experience with this program? Pros? Cons?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not

Bumping for ya Jen!

Lori942
by UMM....... Lori :) on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:27 PM

OMG Jen, I wish you would have posted this a month ago!!
We had a street sale this past October and my neighbor had the complete set of french and spanish.  She sold them for $20 ea. set.  I'm not sure of what they normally cost but I'm guessing a lot more.

BL2010
by BL on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, sorry. No experience with them.

Why123
by Nancy on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM

The college bought Rosetta Stone when it first came out to teach English to foreign students.  I have used the program but not to actually learn another language.

secondcup5
by Carol - Proud Canuck on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM

But didn't you go to Quebec????  How'd you make out there?

Quoting BL2010:

sometimesred
by Bump Queen! on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM

You will learn a lot of words, but when it comes to conversation , being able to say things, or understand others as they speak to you, it is totally useless.  Pimsleur or Michel Thomas method is better for getting you off and going on some basic conversational ability, at least things you would find useful in travel.  The Thomas is a british series, but you can find it in the U.S.  The newer version was on Amazon,  there were also some of the older versions (cheaper).  Only difference is how they divided up the program.  Also you can often find used versions of both at a good price, get the CD version not the tapes.

BL2010
by BL on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

We did and I had no problem conversing with most of the people there. Sure, some places were hard but it was managable. One restaurant a customer had to help us. lol..

Quoting secondcup5:

Quoting BL2010:

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM

dang.... they go for 10x that

Quoting Lori942:

OMG Jen, I wish you would have posted this a month ago!!We had a street sale this past October and my neighbor had the complete set of french and spanish.  She sold them for $20 ea. set.  I'm not sure of what they normally cost but I'm guessing a lot more.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM

me or her?

Quoting secondcup5:

Quoting BL2010:

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM

THANK YOU.

lol.... wonder what it will be like to learn french when I hear the english words with an english accent

Quoting sometimesred:

You will learn a lot of words, but when it comes to conversation , being able to say things, or understand others as they speak to you, it is totally useless.  Pimsleur or Michel Thomas method is better for getting you off and going on some basic conversational ability, at least things you would find useful in travel.  The Thomas is a british series, but you can find it in the U.S.  The newer version was on Amazon,  there were also some of the older versions (cheaper).  Only difference is how they divided up the program.  Also you can often find used versions of both at a good price, get the CD version not the tapes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)