Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You want my son to do what?!?!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 261 Total Views
For the past couple evenings my son has been out about nine or 930 working on a math project with a friend. Here's the assignment: he was given the formula for two 3-dimensional shapes on a particular grid/plane. He needed to figure out what shape was made by their intersection. And then create that shape in a three-dimensional form with the foamboard. By the way these are not typical shapes like cubes, cones, or a cylinder. When I asked him about it he was very matter-of-fact "of course I know how to do that to mom… You just do this, this, this and it's done."

Do we have any math fanatics in here who would even know how to start this? I was shocked that this was an assignment. Thank God I already graduated… I don't know if I could graduate high school today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Ash on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I have no idea. I could NOT graduate high school today, lol, way too hard these days.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this

No idea! The math now is so different than when we were in school.

girlcitycountry
by Chris on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I think if I was in school today I would start crying, lol. Math was/is my enemy. This is my confession, I suck at math. 

BL2010
by BL on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

lol.. you lost me on your second sentence!

brooklynchic151
by Suzi Q on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM

dont know but it sounds like your son is confident and knows how to do it...the math now and days is unbelievable... i just stare at my kids and say thank god they pay attention in class and know whats going on....im clueless with this common core crap...

drfink
by Sister on Dec. 13, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Try looking on the Science or Math Olympiad websites.

Our school loves these type of projects.Not sure where on the grapevine the Olympiad website showed up but it has been a great help.Not sure if it is the same project but my jr in a A.P. pre -cal had project something like this.It turned out to be Halloween oriented ...guess the teacher thought it would be more enjoyable that way ...hahaha nope.

GOOD LUCK !

ninamsi
by Philly Mom/Nina on Dec. 13, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Quoting girlcitycountry:

I think if I was in school today I would start crying, lol. Math was/is my enemy. This is my confession, I suck at math. 

You are not the only one. 

ninamsi
by Philly Mom/Nina on Dec. 13, 2014 at 5:14 AM

My kids are very good with math like their father.  Math and I do notget along.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 13, 2014 at 5:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Huh? Lol
calsmom62
by Bronze sister on Dec. 13, 2014 at 6:57 AM
this sounds pretty typical of honors math here. I think my math skills peaked around 6 th grade so I am no help to my kids after that with homework. dh went thru college Calculus and Trig so we split homework supervision- Im in charge of foreign language, English, music and Arts, he handles math and physics.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)