Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Regrets?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM
  • 29 Replies
  • 522 Total Views

If you were/are a SAHM, do you have any regrets now that your children are getting bigger?  I am a SAHM, and for now, that is how it has to be for my family, and it works best.  I am almost 40, and I don't want to wake up in 5 or 10 years and regret it.  Is working outside the home all its cracked up to be, or is it one of those things that we sometimes desire because we are not doing it, and we think the grass is greener on the other side.  Any advice from those who have been there, done that? (This post is not in any way meant to offend anyone, I'm just curious for my ownself).  Sometimes I wonder if I have made the right life decisions, but I know I am where I need to be right now. 

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello & welcome, I'm a stay home mom & love it. No regrets here!
coolmommy2x
by Gold sister on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with wanting what you don't have. When my son was born I was a SAHM and hated it. I went back to work and loved it but sometimes had days when I wanted to be home in my jammies. I've been a SAHM off and on (I've worked in a volatile industry with a lot of mergers and layoffs) and am always happiest when I'm working. I guess it forces me to create a balance I seem to need. My kids prefer when I work, too. Is a part-time job when your DH is home a possibility? To me, that's the best of both worlds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello simplemom =)
Welcome
Im on the other side Ive worked fulltime since I was 19 and I have 2 older kids who are,25,20 and my little one who will be 4. Do I regret working full-time no but I do feel bad sometimes I wont lie =)
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM
I worked some and then stayed home for 20+ years now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ohwrite
by Sister on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I was a stay at home mom for most of the last 32 years. My oldest is 32, then 25 and 23 year olds. I do not regret one minute of it. I loved being at home with my kids. For our family and for me it was the right decision. I think htough that our generation and younger women are lucky. We have options. We can choose to be a working mom or choose to be a sahm. We're not stuck being sahm's.

Now that my kids are grown I'm doing what I always wanted to do, writing. If you think you might want to do something in particular when they're grown, start taking some online classes, or find another way to dip your toe in the water. Having something else does help with empty nest. I definitely miss having my boys at home.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I am still glad I was able to be a stay at home mom for as long as I was. I do not regret it. What I regret is being depressed and not recognizing it. I firmly believe kids need to be raised by an adult person who loves them and is there for them. I also believe that they older they get the more they need you except for in infancy, teens need you more than most parents seem to realize.

Now that my kids are adults and I'm finally able to work full time again I do love what I'm doing but I wouldn't give up those stay at home years for anything. I sincerely doubt my kids would want to as well.

1squishysmom
by Laurie on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Our youngest is 18 and I'm still a SAHM! Haha. I wouldn't trade one second of me being home with them for anything! I loved every day. We did everything together. I know a lot of moms aren't meant to be home with their kids, but for me, it was everything.

I love always being here for them. They know they can come to me for anything. Crap, our 22yo came in the house last evening asking me the symptoms of a UTI. His friend was concerned he had one. I don't think many 22yos would come to their moms for that! Haha.

becka211
by Bronze sister on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Once my boys were both in school full days, I got a job with the school district.  It is part time and I can get my youngest on the bus in the morning and I'm here when he gets off.  We have the same days off so it works out great.

I needed something that was a reason to get dressed every day and now my work with preschool kids with autism helps me pay it forward.  My youngest was helped immensely by a program like the one I work in now.

RoseWall
by RoseWall on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:27 PM
I stayed at home raising my kids for many years. I enjoyed every minute of it.
Regrets? None.
RoseWall
by RoseWall on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:31 PM
with so many online resources. maybe you can do some online learning at your own pace to keep you ready to jump into whatever field you like once the kids need you at home a bit less.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)