Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easter Question

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:09 AM
  • 23 Replies
  • 532 Total Views
We (Southern Louisiana) use Mardi Gras as a marker for when Easter is. What do other areas use to indicate when is Easter?
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brooklynchic151
by Suzi Q on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

for me its lent. ash wednesday...

Mznaye
by French Quarter Queen on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:14 AM
What do you have leading up to Ash Wednesday? I think I worded my question wrong.

Quoting brooklynchic151:

for me its lent. ash wednesday...

BL2010
by BL on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Ash Wednesday and Lent

BL2010
by BL on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Ash Wednesday is a day to fast and the start of Lent which leads up to Easter.  Easter falls like 46 days after Ash Wednesday.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold sister on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Calendar !  LOL

fern624
by Fern on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Lent:

Matthew 6:16-18 [Full Chapter]

[ Fasting ] “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Ash Wednesday, a day of fasting, is the first day of Lent in Western Christianity. It occurs 46 days (40 weekdays plus 6 Sundays) before Easter and can fall as early as 4 February or as late as 10 March. Ash Wednesday is observed by many Western Christian denominations, including Catholics,[note 1] Lutherans, Methodists, Anglicans, and Presbyterians.[1]

According to the canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, Jesus Christ spent 40 days fasting in the desert, where he endured temptation by Satan.[2] Lent originated as a mirroring of this, fasting 40 days as preparation for Easter. Every Sunday was seen as a commemoration of the Sunday of Christ's resurrection and so as a feast day on which fasting was inappropriate. Accordingly, Christians fasted from Monday to Saturday (6 days) during 6 weeks and from Wednesday to Saturday (4 days) in the preceding week, thus making up the number of 40 days.[3]

Ash Wednesday derives its name from the practice of blessing ashes made from palm branches blessed on the previous year Palm Sunday, and placing them on the heads of participants to the accompaniment of the words "Repent, and believe in the Gospel" or "Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return".[4]

Observances[edit]

Ashes[edit]

In a service for members of the United States Navy, a priest marks a cross of ashes on a worshipper's forehead, the prevailing form in English-speaking countries.[5]

Ashes are ceremonially placed on the heads of Christians on Ash Wednesday, either by being sprinkled over their heads or, more often, by being marked on their foreheads as a visible cross.

The words used traditionally to accompany this gesture are:

Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return. (Based on Genesis 3:19).

In the 1969 revision of the Roman Rite, an alternative formula was introduced and given first place:

Repent, and believe in the Gospel. (Mark 1:15).

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Friday...

Mznaye
by French Quarter Queen on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Lol that's what I'm guessing

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Calendar !  LOL

Mznaye
by French Quarter Queen on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Is there anything done before Ash Wednesday? Folks here have a great grand time until Lent. Well some do

Quoting BL2010:

Ash Wednesday is a day to fast and the start of Lent which leads up to Easter.  Easter falls like 46 days after Ash Wednesday.

BL2010
by BL on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Not that I know of.

Quoting Mznaye: Is there anything done before Ash Wednesday? Folks here have a great grand time until Lent. Well some do
Quoting BL2010:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)