Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your thoughts on polygamy?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 5:39 PM
  • 66 Replies
  • 1547 Total Views
1 mom liked this

This is not my question. A friend posted this on FB (yes, he is brave, LOL) I asked him if I could borrow it. 
It is in Let's talk, so it is open for all CM. Let's all play nice and remember the no bashing rule. If you are not a 40ish member, feel free to comment. But please keep in mind, we don't have to agree, but we MUST respect each other. So everyone please, jump right in and let me know what you think. 

Also, I may share some of your comments with him (privately, not on FB) as he is researching the subject and people's opinions. Thanks.

Why is polygamy considered wrong in America? Both on a religious and moral level?

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Come on people... 24 views and no one comments? Let us hear it. What are your thoughts? I really want to know...

mrgetinold
by Nana on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM
4 moms liked this
Honey if I wanted my dh to have sister wives he better be okay with me getting brother hubby's too! Button wouldn't you know it there are times we both can't stand the one partner we each have now, so maybe it's best we aren't into Poligamy at our house! LOL
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Bump!
Fayanne
by Fay on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:31 PM
3 moms liked this

whelp.. when I studied religion, my class on Mormonism basically said the teachings of Joseph Smith were based on information that was not entirely factual or true (he claimed to have visions, and they were actually not too far from me, in Upstate NY).  Not sure how they view the diety of Christ.

as far as whether or not the Bible supports polygamy, .. you'd have to look at the New Testament. Too many people say 'it's in the Bible so it must be okay'. That's not true. Many teachings of the New Testament are in direct contradiction to the teachings of the Old Testament.  Corinthians pretty much says, to avoid fornication, marriage is one woman, one man. The Ten Commandments condem adultery, and lust for others is also a 'no no'.

A lot of our Constitution and laws are founded in Biblical beliefs.

So... if the Bible says no, our moral compass guiding many of our laws, tends to follow suit.

make sense?

luvmia
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe it would be good for me.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Ain't that the truth? Some days it's all I can do to handle one. I know hubby feels the same way. Can you imagine several sister wives all PMSing at the same time?

Quoting mrgetinold: Honey if I wanted my dh to have sister wives he better be okay with me getting brother hubby's too! Button wouldn't you know it there are times we both can't stand the one partner we each have now, so maybe it's best we aren't into Poligamy at our house! LOL

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the bump. But what about an opinion or facts to share? 

Quoting wenuck: Bump!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Makes sense. Thanks...

Quoting Fayanne:

whelp.. when I studied religion, my class on Mormonism basically said the teachings of Joseph Smith were based on information that was not entirely factual or true (he claimed to have visions, and they were actually not too far from me, in Upstate NY).  Not sure how they view the diety of Christ.

as far as whether or not the Bible supports polygamy, .. you'd have to look at the New Testament. Too many people say 'it's in the Bible so it must be okay'. That's not true. Many teachings of the New Testament are in direct contradiction to the teachings of the Old Testament.  Corinthians pretty much says, to avoid fornication, marriage is one woman, one man. The Ten Commandments condem adultery, and lust for others is also a 'no no'.

A lot of our Constitution and laws are founded in Biblical beliefs.

So... if the Bible says no, our moral compass guiding many of our laws, tends to follow suit.

make sense?

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Care to elaborate? 

Quoting luvmia:

I believe it would be good for me.

wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't care for it but because its not for me doesnt mean its not for others.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)