Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Try as I might I just can't seem to cook up a delicious meal my family will love.....got any recipe ideas for me?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:17 PM
  • 34 Replies
  • 629 Total Views

I'm not sure if they are just picky or I am just not that great a cook. I'm thinking I'm probably not that great of a cook,lol. I wasn't taught to cook as a teen . I taught myself after I was married. I keep trying different recipes, hoping to give my family that good old home cookin' feeling I had when I ate at my grandmothers house growing up but the recipes just keep flopping. They always end up not liking them. Is there something I don't know about how to make food taste finger lickin' good? I also have budget constraints and little time so any recipes that are delicious, quick and budget friendly would be great. Got any ideas for me? To all the good cooks out there, whats your secret? lol.

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:34 PM
Hello & welcome to 40ish. What kind of food does your family like? I think start off with a simple recipe first & go from there.
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Welcome to the group !
Came to the right place for help!
opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

chicken broth and cream of chicken soup.

goulash macaroni noodles I use 32 oz bag, about 2 lbs hamburger, 2 cans cream of mushroom or chicken or one of each soups, probably about 1/4 c ketchup and about 20 shakes of worshershire sauce.

pork chops simple easy and to die for

pork chops, garlic powder or garlic pepper, (pepper is better but powder works if your out, ) and cook in chicken broth. throw in some onions where the broth is and the chops aren't to die for they come out sweet.  we fight over them.

mashed potatoes to go with pork chops

chicken broth usually 2 cans and add potatoes, I use instant to thicken if necessary,

I also add corn to the goulash. makes it better. almost everything i cook i use cream of chicken or chicken broth to make. you will get addicted to it. I put chicken broth instead of water in stuffing.  I put it in my roast,

oh forgot chicken and rice

as much rice as you want in your dinner, I go light, a can of cream of chicken soup, (2 depending on the rice amount,) and grilled chicken breast.

for steak I use daddy hinkles steak seasoning.

make the chicken broth mashed potatoes, put grilled chicken over it and use a can of cream of chicken as a gravy. go for the kfc thing and add corn and cheese.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:14 PM

meatloaf i use hamburger onion soup mix, bread, egg, I add hash browns. you can use cream of chicken soup,ketchup and worstershire souce in it also. garlic powder;

out of bread use stuffing. out of both add crackers

lpn54
by Sister on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:40 PM
Hi I m over 40 exactly 54 I m not the greatest cook but I ve learned to love my crock pot veggie protien a starch water a little seasoning and it does the work have a recipie for pork chops hope they like it brown porkchops in a frying pan then put in a retange size pyrex baking container or whatever u have make a box of scalloped potatoes from the box add mixed veggies spoon over the pork put foil over it cook for 45 min at 375 cut into chops to see if they re done and look for the scallop potaoes to bubble made this it was gone fast everything in one
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:47 PM
Bump for in the am when I am on my laptop.
JTE11
by Bronze sister on Jan. 21, 2015 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Penne pasta, loose sweet Italian sausage, frozen spinach, and canned diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings.

Cook pasta, set aside.

Brown sausage (a little over a pound) in a dutch oven or deep skillet. (Drain the grease off if you prefer.)

Add two cans of Italian diced tomatoes (liquid and all, don't drain).

Let it warm up and simmer a few minutes.

Add some thawed frozen spinach (start with 1/4 cup and then go from there, add as much or as little as you would like).

Stir it all up and let is simmer for 2-3 mnutes or so.

Put penne on a plate, top with sausage mixture. Put shredded mozzarella cheese on top of it, and that's it. It's a favorite of ours.

I would also recommend getting a subscription to the Kraft foods magazine. (No, I don't work for Kraft, lol.) It comes out several times per year and with only a very few exceptions, their recipes are good right off the page. When you get a new recipe, make it the exact way the recipe says to the first time, and then decide what you would change to make it better and the next time use the revised version. I do that to all of the recipes I get. The first time is often not stellar, but I can usually think of ways to make it better. Anyway, welcome to the group, and I hope you find something your family will love!

fern624
by Fern on Jan. 21, 2015 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Casseroles

Taco Casseroles

1     pound of ground beff

1     cup chopped onion

1     clove of garlic, minced

1     (8oz) can tomato sauce

1/4   cup water

1     tablespoon chilli powder

1/4  teaspoon of crushed oregano

1     (15oz) can kidney beans undrained

2      cups corn chips, crushed

1 3/4  cups of shredded lettuce

1 3/4  cups shredded lettuce

Combine ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large; cook til meat is browned, Drain.

Combine meat mixture, tomato sauce, water, and seasonings  in the skillet and stir well. Place half of meat mixture in a lighty greased 2 quart casserole dish; top with half of the kidney beans. Sprinkle with half of the crushed chips. Repeat layers.

Cover and bake  at 350* for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with lettuce and cheese.

mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on Jan. 21, 2015 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Pork loin roast. Just rub a roast (trimmed of all excess fat) with spices, kosher salt, black pepper. Last night I sprinkled with McCormick garlic and herb seasoning, oregano, kosher salt and pepper.

. Put in an overproof dish with an inch of water in it and bake at 325 for approx 2 hrs until meat reaches 155-160. Remove from oven, tent with foil and let rest for 15 min.

Meanwhile put a bag of family favorite frozen veggies in a microwaveable dish. Nuke on high 5 min.

I also boil whole red potatoes and serve with butter and salt on the table.

Meal is super simple to make with little real cooking or a lot of fancy ingredients. My family liked it just as much as the chicken piccata I slaved for an hour over the other night.

I find the simple meals are the meals my family likes best. Chicken and rice is another simple and easy one.

And they will eat fish and like it. I buy 1 1/2 - 2 lbs thawed cod (I stopped buying frozen pre-packed because when I thawed it the pieces were tiny and would become soggy and waterlogged yuck.) I spray the ovenproof dish with cooking spray, then dab a small pat of butter on each piece of cod, a couple if it is a long piece. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Use two lemons. One I squeeze over all the fish, the second I slice half thin and put the slices over the fish. Then bake at 350-75 for about 15-20 min until fish flakes, but isn't overcooked. I serve with 1 veggie I know kids will eat, and garlic bread or frozen rolls I bake for 10 min along with fish.
brooklynchic151
by Suzi Q on Jan. 21, 2015 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
text-decoration:underline;">I say try cooking in a crock pot once in a while. They always make a nice meal and very tasty!!!! I get recipes from recipes.com. Or Pinterest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)