Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why are glasses such a money pit?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:28 PM
  • 28 Replies
  • 453 Total Views
2 moms liked this
Even tho I have good insurance, the optometrist office finds every way to squeeze more money out of me. Its such a scam.
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't wear glasses but yes Ive heard from coworkers its crazy!
mamzie1
by Bronze sister on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
It's crazy. They tack on charges hoping you won't ask about them or why the prices are so high. Argh!

Quoting wenuck: I don't wear glasses but yes Ive heard from coworkers its crazy!
1kidmomajm
by Kristy on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I get mine at walmart or costco. Two glasses for $124 with my plan. Frames were $9 and $64. Got glare free plastic single lenses for distance. Didnt get extra scratch proof or transition.

MonarchMom22
by New sister on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:43 PM
2 moms liked this

just get the prescription, and then shop around for the glasses.  Sears has optical services with good prices, as does Costco or Walmart.  The doctors is usually the most expensive place to get them.

mamzie1
by Bronze sister on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:43 PM
2 moms liked this
It was an extra $80 for scratch resistant glare free. And that was after talking them down.

I'm going to get my prescription info and measurements so I can buy a pair online. Super cheap or so I hear.

Quoting 1kidmomajm:

I get mine at walmart or costco. Two glasses for $124 with my plan. Frames were $9 and $64. Got glare free plastic single lenses for distance. Didnt get extra scratch proof or transition.

BL2010
by BL on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:14 PM

Glass at the dr's office are ridiculous! I don't know why. Get the prescription and go someplace else for the glasses.

Quoting mamzie1: It was an extra $80 for scratch resistant glare free. And that was after talking them down. I'm going to get my prescription info and measurements so I can buy a pair online. Super cheap or so I hear.
Quoting 1kidmomajm:

mom2aspclboy
by Bronze sister on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:35 PM

I know what you mean. I don't have vision insurance, so pay completely out of pocket for my glasses. I go to Visionworks, as they are close by and they run some fantastic specials. They still cost a mint, though, because I like the fancy HD lenses, but totally worth it for the improved vision I get. As soon as I can afford it, I've decided that I want to see if I'm eligible for Lasik. If I am, no more glasses - ever! Woot!

happyolechimp
by Vera on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:44 PM
I get glasses at...dollar tree..
ladyvamp5489
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:46 PM

We get ours from ZenniOptical.com, They are VERY cheap, but good glasses. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:59 PM
I got glasses and contacts and my dd one pair of glasses. I paid $800 after insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)