Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Settle this

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:25 PM
  • 35 Replies
  • 724 Total Views

5 years ago my husband and I bought a house.  In order to buy it we had to pay off all debt.

I find out that my sister ran up a credit card in my name for $2500.  We had no choice but to pay it in order to get the house.

She paid back $400 and then claimed she couldnt afford to pay any more.  So for the last 5 years she has given me free merchandise from her company, stuff I needed.  On top of that she has a husband who has also given us free services.  All total it would definitely cover the money she owed us. 

I believe she has repaid her debt, my hubby thinks that she still owes it because he never agreed that we would exchange the money for the merchandise and the services.

Who is right?

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brooklynchic151
by Suzi Q on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:29 PM
3 moms liked this
Hi and welcome. Did you have this arrangement with your sis. And not tell your hubby.. It's hard to say who is right. If your sister was under the impression. That this was her way to pay back ,then she is right
momofsixangels
by Platinum sister on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Quoting brooklynchic151: Hi and welcome. Did you have this arrangement with your sis. And not tell your hubby.. It's hard to say who is right. If your sister was under the impression. That this was her way to pay back ,then she is right

This

BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Perhaps you could have discussed how to settle this debt with your hubby before making a deal with your sister??

Tough call sis

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a tough call. If the card was in your name, and you agree the debt is paid in full, then I say it is paid in full. BUT, it should have been agreed upon before the giving started. Were the items payment, or were they gifts?

4girlsmum
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:41 PM

My sis and i never came out and said this was the agreement, just everytime she gave me things, she would say, "well you know I owe ya"   and hubby could see she was giving us items that were worth 3-400 a piece.....but hubby and i never spoke about it either.

Quoting brooklynchic151: Hi and welcome. Did you have this arrangement with your sis. And not tell your hubby.. It's hard to say who is right. If your sister was under the impression. That this was her way to pay back ,then she is right

4girlsmum
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:42 PM

It was both, she would gift them to me with the expression "well ya know i owe ya"  

Quoting ALolies:

This is a tough call. If the card was in your name, and you agree the debt is paid in full, then I say it is paid in full. BUT, it should have been agreed upon before the giving started. Were the items payment, or were they gifts?

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you are right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I wanted to say Welcome to the group! Yes this is a toughy. Sorry she has done that to ya!
ChellBell2013
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello welcome to the group !!

this is a tought call good luck

KenneMaw
by Sister on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this

It sounds like your sister has settled the score and then some.  Your DH is being greedy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)