Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

An observation

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:34 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 301 Total Views
My dd's bridal shower was full of 20 something women. I couldn't help but hear their conversations and thought women's lib may have died.

Weddings are still a big deal and pretty sophisticated. They are primarily responsible for the care of their children and the upkeep of their homes. My future dil is putting much of her plans on hold so she can relocate to where my yds is stationed. Then when we got to dd's house, she was lived because her fiance hadn't done any housework that day and had left for work.

These are educated young women with jobs/careers and pursuing higher degrees. They actually seem kind of stressed with their full plates.

Anywho...Is it like that for the young women in your life? I really thought the guys had evolved more, but I guess not.
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lori942
by UMM....... Lori :) on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Most of the younger women I know do have careers as well as their husbands. They both share equal roles in the household and taking care of their children. When a relative of mine had twins, she continued with her career and her dh stayed home with the kids.
brooklynchic151
by Suzi Q on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:21 AM
2 moms liked this

i believe alot of it comes from how you are raised chris.. theres a mix here believe it or not..  you still have those old fashioned gals that are looking for their prince charming to take care of them and they would be very happy to stay at home and take care of the home and children. then their are some that want a career  so they can take care of themselves and not be so dependant on a man. which i believe is the way to go..

SpiritedWitch
by Silver sister on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:39 AM
5 moms liked this

I have to say that I find myself rolling my eyes on CM and it is usually at the crap coming out of the "young" moms on here.

Refusing to marry their partner b/c the ring wasn't big enough or didn't cost enough. Instead of working on their relationship, the first response is divorce. If he (so/husband) does something she doesn't like ... divorce ... even if it is a minor infraction. I do not understand this "husbands/partners are disposable" has come from. 

I find it very laughable when they talk about "not marrying a man-child" and then turn around and make comments like "do you allow your man to ____?" or talk about destroying their partner's property (usually a gaming system) b/c the man had the nerve to play games. 

*sigh* if this is what the furture is going to be like, we,as a society, are f*cked. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow who new? Your right, how shallow. I hope this is just a handful of women, because man we are doomed if not.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

I have to say that I find myself rolling my eyes on CM and it is usually at the crap coming out of the "young" moms on here.

Refusing to marry their partner b/c the ring wasn't big enough or didn't cost enough. Instead of working on their relationship, the first response is divorce. If he (so/husband) does something she doesn't like ... divorce ... even if it is a minor infraction. I do not understand this "husbands/partners are disposable" has come from. 

I find it very laughable when they talk about "not marrying a man-child" and then turn around and make comments like "do you allow your man to ____?" or talk about destroying their partner's property (usually a gaming system) b/c the man had the nerve to play games. 

*sigh* if this is what the furture is going to be like, we,as a society, are f*cked. 

happyolechimp
by Vera on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Ha!...I think ever since the caveman used a club...women had to start learning to "take a stick to em"..if not that...a lil ole iron skillet...BAM!
Just me..
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this
I love the idea of the dad staying home if it works out for the best. I guess what I am seeing is equality between them in the workforce and education levels but not with domestic duties

Quoting Lori942: Most of the younger women I know do have careers as well as their husbands. They both share equal roles in the household and taking care of their children. When a relative of mine had twins, she continued with her career and her dh stayed home with the kids.
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
You have said a few things that resonate with me about my children. My almost 22 year old wants a courthouse wedding this month with his gf who is 20. He's military, but still all about video games. Good luck to her if she thinks she could control that and good luck to him if he doesn't cut back. They have some maturing, but are making progress.

My dd who is getting married next month didn't want to get engaged until he could afford a ring she wanted for the rest of her life. She already lived with him and wasn't in a hurry to marry. She also loves him deeply and I believe she will never divorce him and they didn't go into debt over the ring or the wedding. They're also putting an offer on a house just before the wedding.

I see my kids putting in the work to sustain a relationship, but I still see the old fashioned lines of division amongst domestic chores. I wonder how that will play out as the girls have to be pretty equal bread winners.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

SeanandNoahsmom
by Manning Fan on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, my Katy wont marry anyone who isnt mature and sophisticated, and willing to do his share with house and kids...she is 24...

Lb128f
by Linda on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:43 AM

I see the same here and I just don't get it.  The cycle continues.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:13 PM
I think that's wise.

Quoting SeanandNoahsmom:

Well, my Katy wont marry anyone who isnt mature and sophisticated, and willing to do his share with house and kids...she is 24...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)