Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take the job?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:58 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 275 Total Views
2 moms liked this

I have been offered a work at home position with a good reputable company. I have been running my own pet sitting business for 5 years and am tired of pet sitting, its very physical and a lot of being in the car, but it is graet money for not a lot of time or effort. It is also not very consistent, some weeks I might make $300 and others $30. But I usually only work a few hours a day and its am, noon, pm so I have a lot of time to myself and for my family. The most I have made in 1 year is about $15000.

This new job pays $11.30 per hr, it is from home but full time 3-11:30pm and I have to pay for my phone and internet line $50 month. If I take the job we would lose our Marketplace Insurance Subsidy since they offer insurance, my husbands co does not. Their insurance premiums would bring my take home pay down to about $300 week less the phone bill plus there is no dental coverage and my youngest needs braces which is covered 100% by our Marketplace coverage.

It would be a big change for the entire family since I wont be around for dinner or bedtime Sat - Wed nights and I wont ever see my husband since Ill start working before he gets home and finish after he is in bed.

I was so excited thinking Id get a regular wkly paycheck and not have to go out in the cold, rain heat and care for pets, clean cat boxes etc but now after getting all fo the details I am thinking , is it worth it to change our lives so much and work 40 hrs a week for $300 plus have to come up with money for braces next year.

But if I take the job I will also get 401k which we dont have but of course thats another min 3% out of my check.

What do you think, what would you do?

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe I would stick with what you are doing for awhile.
GMMC
by Giselle on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Tough call...I think I would personally wait until the ideal or close to type of thing came along.

Not seeing my family isn't an option we would consider. Geesh...now that I think about it...that might not be so bad!

LOL!

baconbits
by Bronze sister on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:24 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't do it myself. You can make your own 401k. Just take the money out of your check each week and invest it. Money does not make up for time missed with family.

wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I myself could not do the hours. Good luck
BL2010
by BL on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Hmmm, no, I wouldn't do it. Sounds like you'd be giving up a lot at this point. But it's up to you and hubby to decide.

RoseWall
by RoseWall on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I would not do it.
It is a tough decision.
In the end I make the choice I can
"sleep with". If the other choice keeps you up at night "what if-ing" then lack of sleep will do you in through exhaustion. Be Happy with your decision.
Hugs.
1kidmomajm
by Kristy on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would you loose your subsidy. At $11 an hour you should still qualify. You dont have to take the company insurance. With whatever dh makes, your salary should not bring you over the edge. I think you just have to decide if the income is worth the family changes you would have to make. I don't like the fact that you have to pay for phone and internet, that should be on the company, or are you considered a contract worker or your own business. You could probably do better with the ours and the same pay working in a grocery store, but yes, you wont be actually at home. Good luck.

Lb128f
by Linda on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree!

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: I believe I would stick with what you are doing for awhile.

LIMom1105
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:36 PM
I wouldn't do it. I was working 2 or 3 nights a week plus some weekends at my job, and it was very hard on us as a family. I missed time with my son and spouse, my husband had to pass up opportunities, and we were hiring people to do things we could do ourselves but didn't because we lost a few nights and weekends every week.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)