Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In need of some gift advice...

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:54 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 356 Total Views
2 moms liked this

Good morning!  My "in-laws" are coming over Saturday afternoon.  Both of their birthdays were this week and I'm in a mad scramble trying to find them birthday gifts!  They are in their late 70's and early 80's and they go to church, religiously.  I'm so lost, what would be appropriate for older folks?  I appreciate any suggestions!!  

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by BL on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Hi and welcome to the group.

Hmmm, do they have any hobbies? Do they like to go out to eat, go to the movies?

I'd think some sort of a gift card. It's hard at that age as they probably don't really need anything.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:00 AM
3 moms liked this
Hello & welcome to 40ish. Hmmm that's a tough one. Do they enjoy eating out? How about a card with a gift certificate to a nice restaurant?
Delawhere
by Bronze sister on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

DH & I started doing activities with his parents (they live 10 mins away from us) instead of giving things to them.  They told us that they have enough stuff so we would make up a homemade gift certificate and take them on a daytrip somewhere.  We've done things like going to the local zoo, the Baltimore aquarium, a few different shows or local concerts, etc.  They love it.

For my Dad & his wife, they recently just moved closer to us but prior to that, they lived about 5 hours away.  I would give them gift certificates to a local restaurants that they liked.  They alway seemed to enjoy receiving them.

I know some people find gift certificates an impersonal gift but they've always worked for me :)

mommasmurf
by New sister on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you Ladies!  They don't really have hobbies other than church.  They have a dog that they love and they have a garden in their backyard, so they love nature and animals.  I'm not sure what they like to eat and I don't believe they frequent the movies...would a gift certificate to say, target/kohl's, some place like that be too impersonal?

tnlizard
by Libby on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mommasmurf:

Thank you Ladies!  They don't really have hobbies other than church.  They have a dog that they love and they have a garden in their backyard, so they love nature and animals.  I'm not sure what they like to eat and I don't believe they frequent the movies...would a gift certificate to say, target/kohl's, some place like that be too impersonal?

If they love nature and animals...how about Bird feeders, or something that would bring nature closer into them so they could see it.

When my mom was that age, and seemed to have everything..we would buy her bird feeders with bird seeds, bird baths for her yard..salt licks for the deer..etc. We would also plan a family meal out for her also, to celebrate.

It's hard to figure out a gift for older parents.

brooklynchic151
by Suzi Q on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi and welcome. It's so hard with older folks isent it. I'm going to agree with Janine. I'd go with a gift card of some sorts
baconbits
by Bronze sister on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:55 AM
3 moms liked this

One year we took my dh's parents to the zoo as a Christmas present. Paid for everything and they had a blast! They even rode the Merry Go Round and looked like a couple of kids doing it.

It's been a few years and I'm thinking about doing it again this year.

Lori942
by UMM....... Lori :) on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM
3 moms liked this
My in-laws love their garden so some of the things we have given them are stepping stones, bird feeders, an outdoor statue of Saint Anthony and gift cards to our local garden store.
hau_siyoka
by Wanda - Indian Girl on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I just asked my 80 yr ol aunt and she said a very nice gife certificated so they can pick what they want. Usually seniors have pretty much what they need so a gift certificate gives them a chance to go off the charts and get that something nice they have been wanting

Lb128f
by Linda on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Hello and Welcome to the group! Glad to have you with us! 

I think a gift card is a great idea, maybe a Restaurant card?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)