Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Strange solicitors

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:30 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 353 Total Views
1 mom liked this
I just had a knock at the door and it was a teenage boy doing a fund raiser that apparently his father is forcing him to do for a soccer team that i dont know anything about and i told him come back this evening when its a better time (dh wasn't home and i didnt want to say anything) and he said my dad said i can't come home til i get 15 orders??? And he said is it a bad time? And i said WERE busy at the moment and im trying to shut the door and he asked me if im from alabama and i said no and smiled and said have a good day.....we live in a small neighborhood and i know most kids but he doesnt look familiar. Do you have strange solicitors come to your door?
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseWall
by RoseWall on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:38 PM
Very odd. I am so glad you are ok. I find it safer to not open the door when i am home alone. Did he present a permit? I would report him to the police. Safety first.
RoseWall
by RoseWall on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM
The last unattended kid that tried soliciting at my door I told to go bring the parent back here with them and I would consider the pitch.
I think a No Soliciting sign or two will be helpful.
brandoneaglemom
by Bronze sister on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:43 PM
Yes he did. I saw he was a kid and normally i do not answer regardless. But i am okay and i wont be taking anymore chances.

Quoting RoseWall: Very odd. I am so glad you are ok. I find it safer to not open the door when i am home alone. Did he present a permit? I would report him to the police. Safety first.
brandoneaglemom
by Bronze sister on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM
We will be getting a sign this weekend. There are signs up front in our neighborhood and they still come.

Quoting RoseWall: The last unattended kid that tried soliciting at my door I told to go bring the parent back here with them and I would consider the pitch.
I think a No Soliciting sign or two will be helpful.
RoseWall
by RoseWall on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM
I am only suggesting not opening the door...not refusing to answer it. I answer the door by talking with it closed and telling them I am not interested. I find in my opinion its better that someone answer the door and turn them away. That way they know someone is home. Robbery where a person knocks and the door is not answered then the door forced open by it being kucked down, has happened to at least one of my ex in laws.
RoseWall
by RoseWall on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:56 PM
This reminds me of a safety trick I used to do when the kids were toddlers and we lived without another adult. I would put a huge dog bowl with water on the porch with just a little bit of a spill next to it. Plus a huge worn out leash I had hanging outside near the door. Yeah sure I had dogs but all were small to toy sized. 😉
DellaG
by Della - Taz on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Where we live we don't get solicitors at our door. Out in the country on a little dirt road. If they did find us they would have to enter our gate and get past the dogs..

Mariagma3
by Maria - Midwest Lady on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:19 PM
Why report him to the police? Sounds like He Was doing a sports fundraiser. I feel bad for the kid. He has to come home with 15 orders. That's alot for a young kid. 😄

Quoting RoseWall: Very odd. I am so glad you are ok. I find it safer to not open the door when i am home alone. Did he present a permit? I would report him to the police. Safety first.
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:33 PM

I don't answer the door unless I know who is knocking. IF I did and this was what I encountered, I would call the police dept and ask them if they had any other complaints about it. How old was the boy? Did he mention the name of his school? Was it a local school that you are familiar with? It could be a scam where they are checking out houses to rob.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:39 PM

I don't know that I would really "report" him to the police. But I would definitely call and inquire if there was other complaints. A teenage boy doing a fundraiser for a team I hadn't heard of in my community would raise red flags with me. As I asked in my reply, I wonder how old he was. Say a young teen (13-14) may be different than a 16-17 year old. If he was presenting himself as upper teens, he could actually be as old as early 20s. Unfortunately, we can never be too safe these days.

I would also go with my gut. If it felt hinky, it probably was.

Quoting Mariagma3: Why report him to the police? Sounds like He Was doing a sports fundraiser. I feel bad for the kid. He has to come home with 15 orders. That's alot for a young kid. 😄

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)