Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dropped as a FB Friend (long-ish)

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:46 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 644 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Yup, it happened to me. A girl I have known since middle school, we weren't best buds or anything but have hung out a few times alone. We see each other every few years within a group of people. Her husband is a cop and I offended her a week or two ago. 

There was a black man plain clothed cop who was shot and killed by friendly fire when three other men started shooting at a county police station not too far from me. The friendly fire was actually intentional as another cop thought he was a bad guy. 

I made a comment about racial profiling. How it sucks that societally we see a black man and panic. That there just has to be another way for a cop to make a different decision in that split second, although I don't know how or what. This post was nothing about police brutality issues. 

I FB messaged her this message. Lauren, sorry you were offended by my previous post. We are all entitled to our views and sometimes people do post very difficult issues on FB. I have seen posts I don't like and I have chosen to block that person, but I have not dropped them as a friend in anger. A deeper point I was trying to make with that post was that it is a societal issue. We see a black man and we panic more than if we saw a white man with a gun. I don't think there is anything wrong with me stating too, that I wish there was some other way, I don't have the answer, in that split second of thought to have another choice, like shoot in the leg or something. I have three other cop acquaintances and I have nothing but respect and amazement for their bravery. I cannot change my view that there was race involved, even if it was unintentional subconscious. It's fine to disagree, some do with me and some don't when the subject has come up a few times. If your opinion of me has changed over this one issue, which I am sure you will and should always protect your husbands career, sorry it led to you feeling that way. This to me was a race issue, not a police brutality issue, as I it crossed my mind you may have received it that way from me. I am not asking you to agree to my opinion, just clarifying myself incase that makes things better in the future.

I personally will get over it if she never speaks to me again. As I have gotten older I have had more of the who cares what people think attitude. But it was still my old self concious, I don't like people disliking me insecurities coming out. What if she says something to someone about it and changes that persons opinion of me. Anyway, without you knowing total details, do you think the FB message to her was firm but caring? Sorry but not begging attitude. Appreciate your thoughts.

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you stated your opinion and how you feel. The sad part is she is entitled to hers as well. She might not agree with what you stated and might have felt it was too strong.

People will talk and if they are true friends they will know you and stand beside you.

mrgetinold
by Nana on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you spoke your true feeling from the heart, if others so called friends unfriendly you bc of this then maybe they weren't your friends to begin with! Sorry about this! Hugs
DanaG70
by Tinker Bell on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
It takes me months to realize that I've been unfriended.
That said, it sad when people can't voice their opinion with out somebody going crazy on them.
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Thats what makes the world go around
"Different views" she obviously didnt like what you had to say. So that being said just cause she couldn't let it roll off her shoulders "Its her lose Kristy"
Sorry this happened to ya cause it sucks
=(
KW1280
by KeKe on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too, I was unfriended a while back and didn't notice until today. 

Quoting DanaG70: It takes me months to realize that I've been unfriended. That said, it sad when people can't voice their opinion with out somebody going crazy on them.

KW1280
by KeKe on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:27 PM
3 moms liked this

We all have different points of views and opinions. You can feel however you want to feel. I disagree with a friend on her view of certain controversial issues but she is still my friend and I am hers. If she unfriended you over an opinion of yours, don't sweat it, it is her issue not yours.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry that she did that. I think people are just touchy on certain subjects and won't respect another opinion.
Lb128f
by Linda on Mar. 31, 2016 at 7:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think she was much of a "friend" if she didn't ask you about it before just dropping  you. I think what you said is fine.

momtoonein06
by Gale on Mar. 31, 2016 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Her loss and if a person can unfriend u lr stop talking to u over u voicing ur opinion well then move on, no worries. We are all adults and who needs the drama. Were not in highschool. Sorry this has happened to u. People read to much into things especially if posted on FB. I dont like the drama on FB I dont go on as mucb as I used to.
brooklynchic151
by Suzi Q on Mar. 31, 2016 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry kristty. I know it must hurt. But as true friends if we can't be honest then what have you got
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)