Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you say 40ish *it takes a village* part 1

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 8:56 PM
  • 32 Replies
  • 580 Total Views
1 mom liked this

That violent video games, television shows or even music may cause children to act out violently. Do you also think that media can influence a child's self image? What are ways that you as a mom would counter the negativity concerning body image?

Disclaimer~ please do not put anyone down or bash anyone. We are adults with different opinions and ideas on raising children.  

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
doodlepuss
by Sheri on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:42 PM
I'm shocked by the violence in some of these super hero cartoons. Then again, I grew up with Road Runner/Coyote and Tom/Jerry cartoons. I do think it's a little different when it's people fighting. I let him watch some of it. I don't want him to be too out of touch with his peers. It's all a balancing act. I make sure we talk about what he sees.

Body image...I think that's a big concern for girls but it is becoming more so for boys. All those muscles...unrealistic. I've already planned my conversations I want to have with Wyatt. He's starting to notice the bodies in the superhero world. It must be harder than when we were little.

I saw an interview with the actor who played Luke Skywalker (Mark whatshisname). He was talking about his action figure from the 70s and the one these days. The new one is all ripped/buff ...whatever you want to call it. It's completely contrived...Luke wasn't muscle bound! It's a lot of pressure for a kid who doesn't receive guidance from a parent.
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Good question Keke
Kids are influenced by anything these days
Do I think social media could of course Ive watched catfish plenty of times that anybody could be anybody they want to be. Very scary.
What I can do as a mom is communication keeping it open!
KW1280
by KeKe on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you about keeping the doors of communication open. I feel we have to be a constant in our child' daily lives. Asking questions, setting boundaries, listening and actively parent.

Quoting wenuck: Good question Keke Kids are influenced by anything these days Do I think social media could of course Ive watched catfish plenty of times that anybody could be anybody they want to be. Very scary. What I can do as a mom is communication keeping it open!

wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely

Quoting KW1280:

I agree with you about keeping the doors of communication open. I feel we have to be a constant in our child' daily lives. Asking questions, setting boundaries, listening and actively parent.

Quoting wenuck: Good question Keke
Kids are influenced by anything these days
Do I think social media could of course Ive watched catfish plenty of times that anybody could be anybody they want to be. Very scary.
What I can do as a mom is communication keeping it open!

DanaG70
by Tinker Bell on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:23 PM
I think as a parent, it is my job to teach the difference between right and wrong. The difference between the images on Tv, or video games are not real life and that life is not fair.
I do believe it takes a village, but to tell my kids to quit doing something that can be damaging, or against the law. Parents can not be with their kids every second of the day, it takes people like teachers, police officers and Joe blow off the street to stop a kid from hurting themselves, or somebody else.
One thing that I see is a lot of is parents waiting until their children are teens before trying to rein them in, by that time it is too late.
KW1280
by KeKe on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:30 PM

I do agree that waiting until the child is a teen to start discipling or setting boundaries may be too late. What do you think about parents suing video game makers when their child exhibits violent behaviors?

Quoting DanaG70: I think as a parent, it is my job to teach the difference between right and wrong. The difference between the images on Tv, or video games are not real life and that life is not fair. I do believe it takes a village, but to tell my kids to quit doing something that can be damaging, or against the law. Parents can not be with their kids every second of the day, it takes people like teachers, police officers and Joe blow off the street to stop a kid from hurting themselves, or somebody else. One thing that I see is a lot of is parents waiting until their children are teens before trying to rein them in, by that time it is too late.

doodlepuss
by Sheri on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:42 PM
I'm shocked by the violence in some of these super hero cartoons. Then again, I grew up with Road Runner/Coyote and Tom/Jerry cartoons. I do think it's a little different when it's people fighting. I let him watch some of it. I don't want him to be too out of touch with his peers. It's all a balancing act. I make sure we talk about what he sees.

Body image...I think that's a big concern for girls but it is becoming more so for boys. All those muscles...unrealistic. I've already planned my conversations I want to have with Wyatt. He's starting to notice the bodies in the superhero world. It must be harder than when we were little.

I saw an interview with the actor who played Luke Skywalker (Mark whatshisname). He was talking about his action figure from the 70s and the one these days. The new one is all ripped/buff ...whatever you want to call it. It's completely contrived...Luke wasn't muscle bound! It's a lot of pressure for a kid who doesn't receive guidance from a parent.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze sister on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:44 PM

I think violent video games and tv shows desensitize you to violence. 

KW1280
by KeKe on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:31 PM

I can see that happening with me so I can imagine how a child would be affected.  I looked at something on the news and I was like oh another death. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I think violent video games and tv shows desensitize you to violence. 

SamZ123
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:34 PM

All my kids watch violent movies and they play violent games. None of them are violent. It's the lack of parenting and teaching kids that those things are pretend and we don't do that stuff in real life that make children violent

KW1280
by KeKe on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Speaking on the body image issue, those teen movies don't help. The "ugly girl/guy" gets transformed into a handsome girl/guy in order to be accepted. After they are made to look pretty/handsome then they get the party invites.

Quoting doodlepuss: I'm shocked by the violence in some of these super hero cartoons. Then again, I grew up with Road Runner/Coyote and Tom/Jerry cartoons. I do think it's a little different when it's people fighting. I let him watch some of it. I don't want him to be too out of touch with his peers. It's all a balancing act. I make sure we talk about what he sees. Body image...I think that's a big concern for girls but it is becoming more so for boys. All those muscles...unrealistic. I've already planned my conversations I want to have with Wyatt. He's starting to notice the bodies in the superhero world. It must be harder than when we were little. I saw an interview with the actor who played Luke Skywalker (Mark whatshisname). He was talking about his action figure from the 70s and the one these days. The new one is all ripped/buff ...whatever you want to call it. It's completely contrived...Luke wasn't muscle bound! It's a lot of pressure for a kid who doesn't receive guidance from a parent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)