Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Probiotics

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:56 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 207 Total Views
1 mom liked this
If you take them, what is the reason and does it help?
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AllofFive19
by Carrie on Aug. 6, 2016 at 8:03 AM
I take them anytime I feel I need them. They seem to help.
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Aug. 6, 2016 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Never taken them
kaarina
by Boston Strong on Aug. 6, 2016 at 9:35 AM
I take them. They help tremendously , especially after taking antibiotics.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze sister on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Probiotics help with so many things from gassyness, to reflux.  I developed a bout of really bad gastrointestinal pain and cramping that was diagnosed as IBS about 14 years ago.  Everything I ate hurt my stomach and I even was given rx meds for the pain and cramping.  The only thing that I could seem to tolerate to eat was yogurt with flax seeds which is supposed to be good for IBS.  I stumbled across the story of Jordan Rubin and his recovery from Crohns using homeostatic soil based organisms probiotics.  I started using his Primal Defense as directed and within a month I was completely pain free most of the time.  I continued taking them for the recommended 6 months and I completely recovered.

Just recently we brought home a new puppy we named Heidi (part german shepherd and part lab/pit) after losing our Willow (chocolate lab/chesapeak bay retriever) to cancer at 9 years this past December.  Heidi was a little skinny (you could see her ribs) and after a week with us she started developing loose stools.  So off to the vets we went.  She had 2 types of bacterial infections;  clostridium and campylobacter and zero good bowel flora according to the vet technician. Which made sense because I was seeing undigested food in her stool.  In fact her stools were mostly undigested food. The vet immediately started her on meds for the clostridium and said that the campylobacter should resolve itself and gave me a tube of probiotic paste for her.  I took her back after we finished up the meds and the vet gave her more medication for the campylobacter since it was still there.  I had also started her on a probiotic powder called Probios that has Enterococcus Faecium in addition to lactobacillis.  I continued to give that to her and her stool gradually began to look normal with no undigested food at all.  But she was still pooping a lot.  So the vet prescribed a special kibble for GI issues.  After a month of Probios, I started giving her FOS at every meal as well as the probios (Fructooligosaccharides) which feed the healthy gut bacteria.  She's now starting to fill out.  I can't see her ribs any more.  And she's now only pooping 3 times a day (I'm feeding her 3 times a day).  She now just gets the FOS once a day.  I think we will continue that until she finishes the bottle. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 6, 2016 at 12:46 PM
I don't take them. But a friend of mine said it help her.
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 6, 2016 at 12:48 PM

All this.  Very true.  My dd that has reflux and stomach issues has way less taking them daily.  

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Probiotics help with so many things from gassyness, to reflux.  I developed a bout of really bad gastrointestinal pain and cramping that was diagnosed as IBS about 14 years ago.  Everything I ate hurt my stomach and I even was given rx meds for the pain and cramping.  The only thing that I could seem to tolerate to eat was yogurt with flax seeds which is supposed to be good for IBS.  I stumbled across the story of Jordan Rubin and his recovery from Crohns using homeostatic soil based organisms probiotics.  I started using his Primal Defense as directed and within a month I was completely pain free most of the time.  I continued taking them for the recommended 6 months and I completely recovered.

Just recently we brought home a new puppy we named Heidi (part german shepherd and part lab/pit) after losing our Willow (chocolate lab/chesapeak bay retriever) to cancer at 9 years this past December.  Heidi was a little skinny (you could see her ribs) and after a week with us she started developing loose stools.  So off to the vets we went.  She had 2 types of bacterial infections;  clostridium and campylobacter and zero good bowel flora according to the vet technician. Which made sense because I was seeing undigested food in her stool.  In fact her stools were mostly undigested food. The vet immediately started her on meds for the clostridium and said that the campylobacter should resolve itself and gave me a tube of probiotic paste for her.  I took her back after we finished up the meds and the vet gave her more medication for the campylobacter since it was still there.  I had also started her on a probiotic powder called Probios that has Enterococcus Faecium in addition to lactobacillis.  I continued to give that to her and her stool gradually began to look normal with no undigested food at all.  But she was still pooping a lot.  So the vet prescribed a special kibble for GI issues.  After a month of Probios, I started giving her FOS at every meal as well as the probios (Fructooligosaccharides) which feed the healthy gut bacteria.  She's now starting to fill out.  I can't see her ribs any more.  And she's now only pooping 3 times a day (I'm feeding her 3 times a day).  She now just gets the FOS once a day.  I think we will continue that until she finishes the bottle. 

Lb128f
by Linda on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Seashell77
by Bronze sister on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:17 PM

I take them daily. I it helps my digestion. 

aprilmercedes
by Sister on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Huge believer in pre biotics AND pro biotics! I have MS and they are supposed to help with autoimmune diseases and also help with digestion and other things. BIG FAN!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)