Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sad

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 446 Total Views
3 moms liked this

Today is a sad day for me. Not a bad day, I am still choosing joy, but a sad day. 4 yrs ago we made the decision to pull the plug and let my mom go. I think it was the longest 3 days I have ever experienced. She had a stroke on the evening of the 16th, we made the decison to stop life support ont eh 18 and she passed on the 19th. It is not a bad day, just a sad one. I am thinking of the wonderful times we had. We had a really special relationship. In so many ways she and I were closer than she was with any of her biological children. We shared so many special times. She was an amazign grandmother to my children. When I got pg with my oldest she made the decision to become a doula professionally adn I was her first mommy. My kids were the only grandkids she got to see be born. She got to cut the cord on my youngest which made her year. I was so blessed to have had her as my mom for 26 yrs. More than twice as long as I had my biological mom. God knew what he was doing when he took my first mom home in 85. I needed 2 moms (plus my guardian angel) to make the me the strong, independant woman I am today. It took all of their influences to show me how to get through life. I believe I am making her happy taking care of my father. We always thought that my dad would go first and I would be taking care of her. Life has a way of not following plans. I love her and miss her every day. Today I am going to do all I can to celebrate that. 

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
mrgetinold
by Nana on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM
Hugs, thanks for sharing some of your mom's beautiful story with us!
My mom will be gone 10 years in May that day and her bday are bittersweet! I try so hard to remember the love and memories! But tears still come and I know that's OK too!
Take care RaeMarie
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this
((Hugs))
Lb128f
by Linda on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

It's great that you are celebrating your Mom today, I think she'd love that! 

And, how cool that she became a Doula for you...very special! 

I miss my Mom too (so much), it's good you know she (actually both Mom's) are always with you!

group hug

mrgetinold
by Nana on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Hugs, thanks for sharing some of your mom's beautiful story with us!
My mom will be gone 10 years in May that day and her bday are bittersweet! I try so hard to remember the love and memories! But tears still come and I know that's OK too!
Take care RaeMarie
RaeMarie
by RaeMarie on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

It has been 4 for my mom but I know it will be 10 before I know it. I still can't believe my first mom has been gone 31 years. Life goes on as long as we allow it to. I have a cousin who lost his wife 3 yrs ago. He has yet to move on. He has breakfast with her every single morning at the cemetery. I know our loved ones wouldn't want our lives to stop because thiers did. They would want us to smile for them. 

Funny story. Both of my moms did hair. My first mom was a beautician. My second mom a barber. Today we are going to get haircuts in their honor LOL

Antother funny tidbit. My father and his best friend (whose mothers were good friends) were born 3 days apart, both married women named Colleen, both (or all 3!) of their wives did hair. It is almost like they were destined to live one life! The best friend is my godfather any my dad is the best friends childs godfather. They were the best man in each others weddings. I have already put this man on notice that he is not allowed to die before my dad because I am counting on him to help me through that time. My dad says he is outliving everyone! LOL

Quoting mrgetinold: Hugs, thanks for sharing some of your mom's beautiful story with us! My mom will be gone 10 years in May that day and her bday are bittersweet! I try so hard to remember the love and memories! But tears still come and I know that's OK too! Take care RaeMarie

aakeiser
by Amy on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs!!!
rmebrat1020
by rmebrat on Mar. 18, 2017 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
((((Hugs))))

I know your sadness but remember the good times are the best, aren't they? I have my mom's sweater that reminds me of her. I hope your day gets better
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 18, 2017 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

She sounds amazing and yes you were very blessed. Celebrate her and smile at the memories she left you with. Hugs-

ninamsi
by Philly Mom/Nina on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:58 PM

Celebrate the life you had with your mother.  After my mother passed other women treated me as their own child and I was an adult. 

Manth
by Manth on Mar. 19, 2017 at 6:31 AM

Hugs!  

Thank you for having the courage to turn off life support - so often families 'hang on' to their loved one, not being able to make that final parting when the loved one is ready to go home and will have no quality of life left on earth (forever on a machine, for instance).  My sweet MIL has asked that no 'heroic measures' be taken with her when her time comes, just to let her go and cherish the memories.

Thank you also for sharing those sweet memories!  It sounds like your Mom was one amazing woman.

DreamWeaver669
by on Mar. 19, 2017 at 6:34 AM

Im so sorry for your loss...big hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)