Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The American dream

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 425 Total Views
7 moms liked this
Talking to my dd after work last night she was telling me about one patient she really enjoys and another that needed wound care. I asked her that if she would have believed she would be a nurse when she was 15 and she answered no. She said she hated school and didn't think she had what it takes to have this kind of career.

She dropped out and got her GED so she could take a course to be a vet assistant and quickly realized she spent a lot of money on a scam for profit school. But at least she got her GED and could rethink her path.

She decided she would like to be a nurse and found out to increase her chance of being admitted she should take a CNA course for $1200 through the community college. She did it and had to drop out of prerequisite classes so she could pay back her debt and pay her rent.

Finally she was back in school, working and living with roommates. At a party they threw a friend brought a guy who would become my dd's dh. He was a former marine who served 2 deployments and was back home and going to school using his GI Bill.

He got a job in a great restaurant /microbrewery starting as a dishwasher and probably taking orders from someone that never served in the military. A pretty humble beginning after what he had gone through and could have done that right out of hs, but military benefits mean free school and VA loan to buy a house, which they got this year.

Now he has worked his way to a bartender averaging $300 a night in tips and is in engineering school at a top university. My dd is working as an Licensed Practical Nurse and her employer helped pay some of her tuition and exam costs. She is applying for the RN program to continue on with her career.

I am posting about this because I know the American dream is hard and expensive but still achievable. Not everyone is an entitled snowflake and some are working hard to reach their goals.

Do you have any stories about how you or a child basically did life without going directly to college and starting off with a great salary but managed to be successful?
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
kaarina
by Boston Strong on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:20 PM
That's awesome about your family and the way they worked hard for what they have achieved. Sometimes I think a person should go through some tough times instead of having everything come easy. Makes you appreciate life more.
As you know I got married at 17 and DH was 19. We left school because we had 2 babies to raise. We were so poor that we ate hot dogs and macaroni and cheese or peanut butter sandwiches for a long time. We had junky cars that were in constant need of repair and had many bills that we couldn't pay.
We are coming up on our 35 year anniversary in 7 days . We own two houses, drive luxury cars, and are comfortable in life, and put all three kids through college. Not bad for a couple of high school drop outs.
kaarina
by Boston Strong on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:20 PM
6 moms liked this
That's awesome about your family and the way they worked hard for what they have achieved. Sometimes I think a person should go through some tough times instead of having everything come easy. Makes you appreciate life more.
As you know I got married at 17 and DH was 19. We left school because we had 2 babies to raise. We were so poor that we ate hot dogs and macaroni and cheese or peanut butter sandwiches for a long time. We had junky cars that were in constant need of repair and had many bills that we couldn't pay.
We are coming up on our 35 year anniversary in 7 days . We own two houses, drive luxury cars, and are comfortable in life, and put all three kids through college. Not bad for a couple of high school drop outs.
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:49 PM
4 moms liked this
I absolutely love your story because all odds were against you and you overcame everything. I honestly have to say that some of the people I know from high school who have managed to stay together are the furthest ahead financially because they didn't get into huge college debt or go through a divorce. Your story is so special because you managed to raise a family so young and your dh has gone on to have such an amazingly distinguished career. He's been very blessed with your support.

Quoting kaarina: That's awesome about your family and the way they worked hard for what they have achieved. Sometimes I think a person should go through some tough times instead of having everything come easy. Makes you appreciate life more.
As you know I got married at 17 and DH was 19. We left school because we had 2 babies to raise. We were so poor that we ate hot dogs and macaroni and cheese or peanut butter sandwiches for a long time. We had junky cats that were in constant need of repair and had many bills that we couldn't pay.
letstalk747
by Joyful on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Great True story , Im so happy for them.  300 a night in tips thats really something and a job well worth doin for sure.

cgd5112
by Bronze sister on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this

That's a wonderful story! I'm so very happy for your daughter and her husband :)  we all take our own path to find our future/destiny. I'm glad your daughter's path took her to where she si today. I hope she gets in to the nursing program. An RN license will open a lot of opportunities and career paths for her. 

cgd5112
by Bronze sister on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:41 PM
3 moms liked this

This is a great story :) 

Quoting kaarina: That's awesome about your family and the way they worked hard for what they have achieved. Sometimes I think a person should go through some tough times instead of having everything come easy. Makes you appreciate life more. As you know I got married at 17 and DH was 19. We left school because we had 2 babies to raise. We were so poor that we ate hot dogs and macaroni and cheese or peanut butter sandwiches for a long time. We had junky cats that were in constant need of repair and had many bills that we couldn't pay. We are coming up on our 35 year anniversary in 7 days . We own two houses, drive luxury cars, and are comfortable in life, and put all three kids through college. Not bad for a couple of high school drop outs.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I tell them he'll take a pay cut when he finally graduates but my dd says she doesn't care and he can't bartender forever. Lol

Quoting letstalk747:

Great True story , Im so happy for them.  300 a night in tips thats really something and a job well worth doin for sure.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I tell her a position in a plastic surgery center would be great so mom can get some discounted work done. Lol. There are so many opportunities in different fields that it should be exciting to explore and you are so right about many different paths to success.

Quoting cgd5112:

That's a wonderful story! I'm so very happy for your daughter and her husband :)  we all take our own path to find our future/destiny. I'm glad your daughter's path took her to where she si today. I hope she gets in to the nursing program. An RN license will open a lot of opportunities and career paths for her. 

Lb128f
by Linda on Jun. 4, 2017 at 3:43 PM
2 moms liked this

This is beautiful...CONGRATS to them both! I too believe the "American Dream" is still alive but it is definitely a difficult journey...one that your DD and her DH have mastered! They deserve everything they have worked so hard for (and continue to work hard for)! 

Lb128f
by Linda on Jun. 4, 2017 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this

So true, Christine! I agree...very well said!

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: I absolutely love your story because all odds were against you and you overcame everything. I honestly have to say that some of the people I know from high school who have managed to stay together are the furthest ahead financially because they didn't get into huge college debt or go through a divorce. Your story is so special because you managed to raise a family so young and your dh has gone on to have such an amazingly distinguished career. He's been very blessed with your support.
Quoting kaarina: That's awesome about your family and the way they worked hard for what they have achieved. Sometimes I think a person should go through some tough times instead of having everything come easy. Makes you appreciate life more. As you know I got married at 17 and DH was 19. We left school because we had 2 babies to raise. We were so poor that we ate hot dogs and macaroni and cheese or peanut butter sandwiches for a long time. We had junky cats that were in constant need of repair and had many bills that we couldn't pay. We are coming up on our 35 year anniversary in 7 days . We own two houses, drive luxury cars, and are comfortable in life, and put all three kids through college. Not bad for a couple of high school drop outs.

tsatske2
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this

My middle son went to community college for his first 2 years. Then he got accepted into one of the most expensive private colleges in America. He could have had a free ride at any Ky public college but choose the private college and to join the ROTC to get his scholarship. I went with him to his meeting with the recruiter. He told them he was an Aspberger's kid. They said no problem. He went for a year, the school waited patiently for his scholarship to come in, cause, you know, the government is good for it. After a year the Army turned him down because of his Asperger's. He had to leave school owing over 50,000. The private school would not release his transcripts so he could not apply anywhere else.

He moved back to our hometown. He got a two bedroom apartment that he shared with both his brothers, worked hard, and sent all his extra money back to pay off his debt. A little over a year later he returned to college at the University of Northern Ky. He got his BFA and is now in Law School at U of Mich. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)