Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know how I raised a germophobe

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2017 at 1:19 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 185 Total Views
4 moms liked this

Last night as my daughter was washing dishes, she didn't fill the sink with water and soap like you're supposed to, instead she had running water and was putting soap on each individual dish/silverware.  I filled the sink for her and told her when she lives on her own, she can do dishes however she wants,  however, since she lives with us, she will fill the sink and wash dishes that way to save on the water bill and waste of water.  She got mad at me and says it's all the same since I'll drain and fill the sink three times.  God forbid she gets her hands dirty and she thinks that after a while, the water is gross because it's dirty.  I told her to get over herself.  She's like that with many things.  We are not germophobes.  It just frustrates me when it comes to things like this. 

by on Aug. 15, 2017 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ninamsi
by Philly Mom/Nina on Aug. 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

You should buy her some dish washing gloves.  

soymujer
by Bronze sister on Aug. 15, 2017 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I have gloves that I use when I clean the kitchen so I don't get the bleach and the smell on mine.  She knows she's more than welcomed to use those.

Quoting ninamsi:

ninamsi
by Philly Mom/Nina on Aug. 15, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Your germs in those.  LOL

Quoting soymujer:

I have gloves that I use when I clean the kitchen so I don't get the bleach and the smell on mine.  She knows she's more than welcomed to use those.

Quoting ninamsi:

2-point-doe
by Sister on Aug. 15, 2017 at 2:55 PM

I am not a germaphobe but I hate washing dishes in sink of soapy water too. I have the things that float in there. I will fill a pan or bowl (something I am washing) with soapy water and use it for a few things and then repeat.

MaineMammax2
by Melissa on Aug. 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not a germaphobe and I wash each dish and rinse them as I go without filling the sink in the beginning. We are very conservative with water use. I do not use more water doing it this way versus filling the sink, draining, rinsing and refilling. Just me personally I think it odd to force someone to do a chore your way in the assumption it's the correct way. I'm happy my oldest does her chores of dishes and laundry even though they differ from my way of doing it.

I should specify that I don't leave the tap running as I wash. I can see if your daughter is leaving the water running while washing it would be wasteful.
Lb128f
by Linda on Aug. 15, 2017 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL, wow. Is she trying to get out of washing dishes? ;-)

soymujer
by Bronze sister on Aug. 17, 2017 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

She does leave the tap running.  And she doesn't do a very good job of washing this way either.

Quoting MaineMammax2: I am not a germaphobe and I wash each dish and rinse them as I go without filling the sink in the beginning. We are very conservative with water use. I do not use more water doing it this way versus filling the sink, draining, rinsing and refilling. Just me personally I think it odd to force someone to do a chore your way in the assumption it's the correct way. I'm happy my oldest does her chores of dishes and laundry even though they differ from my way of doing it. I should specify that I don't leave the tap running as I wash. I can see if your daughter is leaving the water running while washing it would be wasteful.

Carmen66
by Carmen - Hot Latina on Aug. 17, 2017 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

i wash the dishes at home ,cause i swear when i ask my daughter or grandson i have to rewash them.

JennaBea
by Suprina on Aug. 17, 2017 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Yup good idea :)

Quoting ninamsi:

soymujer
by Bronze sister on Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Most likely.  She works a lot so it's not like she is always doing them!  Just giving the rest of us a break when she is home!!

Quoting Lb128f:

LOL, wow. Is she trying to get out of washing dishes? ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)