Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on Mom who refuse to wear adult diapers

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:26 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 325 Total Views
1 mom liked this

My mother just recently moved in with us and she refuses to wear adult diapers. However, she will pee herself all day. If she does make it to the bathroom she makes a horrible mess all over. I am not sure what to do. I've tried changing her diet, talking with her and nothing has worked. It's driving my family and I crazy! Do you have any advice???

by on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ihave1
by Mariyum on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:28 PM
Gross, not looking forward to this myself with my mom. (We’re talking about her moving in) she isn’t close to that help though. Anyway hire someone to help.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:29 PM
Does she have dementia?
Lb128f
by Linda on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi and Welcome to the group! I'm Linda. Glad to have you here!

I'm sorry this is happening. Maybe you could get her Doctor to speak with her. What kind of medical issues does she have?

Mariagma3
by Maria - Midwest Lady on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:41 PM

It sounds to me like your Mom may have Dementia. Try to get her to use heavy panty liners. Talk to her Dr, see whay they say. You can buy disposable underwear, I'm pretty sure. Get in touch with any Dr, nurses, or caregivers. You're going to need help & support. We went through some of this before MIL passed. It's not easy. Breathe. Hugs!

Melissa_4
by Sister on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I stumbled across this post, but have been through this with my late grandmother.

There are a few options, beginning with the style that looks like underwear, but is actually an adult diaper.

Have you spoken with her doctor?  Sometimes this is caused by infections, but others by uterine prolapses.  The uterus sits on top of the bladder, and she just cannot tell when she has to go, or even that she is urinating.  

If she's developing dementia or Alzheimer's, and is in the early stages, she's probably mortified, so how you react to the situation is going to determine how she reacts to you.  Does she have a regular physician?  Maybe it's "time for a checkup, and I'll come with you."

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Dec. 12, 2017 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Have you tried using the ones who look like pretty underwear? Just tell her they are underpanties. They are pretty and she wont feel like she is in a diaper. Ask her dr to check to make sure she dont have an infection or to see if she dont have another issue making it where she may not feel when she has to urinate. 

My mom had bladder issues and thats what she ended up doing. My mom passed 4 months ago and I found all her "pretty" underpanties and donated them. 

doodlepuss
by Sheri on Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:35 PM
I wish I had a good answer for you. My uncle lives with us and we are having issues as well. Ugh...it's not an easy topic. I hope you find a good solution.
rmebrat1020
by rmebrat on Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a CNA III. We had patients like that but we basically put them on a training schedule. Essentially we took them to the bathroom every 2 hours and increased the time in between. A lot still wore adult diapers but they got into a new routine of going to the bathroom.
rhubarbcache
by New sister on Dec. 13, 2017 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you told her doctor about it? maybe she has a bladder problem, bring her to her doctor

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze sister on Dec. 13, 2017 at 9:33 PM

What about disposable underwear?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)