Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The housing market

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM
  • 76 Replies
  • 976 Total Views
4 moms liked this
It's crazy here. Prices are climbing and anything I might like is sold within a week and most likely within days. Trying to buy out of town is really hard. Inventory is also very low.

The way the housing market is right now I feel anxiety. I am afraid if prices keep climbing we'll be priced out. Housing dollars go so much further in other parts of the country, it's depressing. How is the market in your area?
by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
D-Town
by Denize on Feb. 6, 2018 at 4:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I live in Detroit so houses are a dime a dozen. And we have the $100 home program going on right now too to help sell off some of the abandoned homes. The downside is that they homes are in Detroit and most need severe renovations done to them. 

Outside of Detroit, into the suburbs, houses are expensive. You really have to have something special to your home for it to sell quickly. 

ninamsi
by Philly Mom/Nina on Feb. 6, 2018 at 6:11 AM
1 mom liked this
The housing market in Philly is similar to your area.

Quoting D-Town:

I live in Detroit so houses are a dime a dozen. And we have the $100 home program going on right now too to help sell off some of the abandoned homes. The downside is that they homes are in Detroit and most need severe renovations done to them. 

Outside of Detroit, into the suburbs, houses are expensive. You really have to have something special to your home for it to sell quickly. 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold sister on Feb. 6, 2018 at 6:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Sky High. You can't get a fixer upper for less than $350,000

RaeMarie
by RaeMarie on Feb. 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Our area actually has property values climbing at a steady rate because some huge company (foxcon) has purchased property in our county, city which will bring thousands of jobs. 

chicken13
by Silver sister on Feb. 6, 2018 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Yup. Housing in the northeast sucks big time.

Our first house was a massive fixer upper for $250k. 20+ years ago. Lol

Now you can’t even get a garage for that.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Sky High. You can't get a fixer upper for less than $350,000

Lb128f
by Linda on Feb. 6, 2018 at 8:54 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't know that much about buying in our area but it seems like things stay busy here with the local bases/military. I sure hope you can find something you like at a good price!

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Feb. 6, 2018 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

The Canadian housing market is all over the place.  Here in the capital it is much more stable but with interest rates rising, housing prices are going to go down.

letstalk747
by Joyful on Feb. 6, 2018 at 9:52 AM
3 moms liked this

My aunt has been looking over a year and a half prices way to high , it is crazy.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this
I live in Oregon and want to move about two hours south but just for fun I looked in coal mining areas of Pennsylvania and I found several fixers for under $30K. It sure gives some perspective that the whole country has very different kinds of economies. It's crazy how it varies.

Quoting D-Town:

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I hope they stop rising here soon because I noticed not only do the housing prices rise but property taxes do too.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

The Canadian housing market is all over the place.  Here in the capital it is much more stable but with interest rates rising, housing prices are going to go down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)