Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's crazy here. Prices are climbing and anything I might like is sold within a week and most likely within days. Trying to buy out of town is really hard. Inventory is also very low.

The way the housing market is right now I feel anxiety. I am afraid if prices keep climbing we'll be priced out. Housing dollars go so much further in other parts of the country, it's depressing. How is the market in your area?
by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
anotherandree
by Bronze sister on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this
We bought our house about 2 yrs ago and ended up putting an offer in sight unseen! We spent about a month looking at houses and having them off the market within HOURS of listing. The house we bought was listed at 9pm and we put the offer in at 10, by the time the sellers office opened the next morning, they said they had 4 offers.
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this
What gets me is people bidding on houses to pay more than it's listed for

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Sky High. You can't get a fixer upper for less than $350,000

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Where is here?

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: I hope they stop rising here soon because I noticed not only do the housing prices rise but property taxes do too.
Quoting Linda_Runs:

The Canadian housing market is all over the place.  Here in the capital it is much more stable but with interest rates rising, housing prices are going to go down.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this
That's insane but I so get it. I found the perfect house a few weeks ago and sent my dd to Face Time it to me. Owen didn't want to see it because we need to get a written agreement from our landlord who gave us her verbal consent but he doesn't want anything to bite us later, which I understand but the perfect house was gone as fast as it was listed. I was so frustrated over the whole thing.

Quoting anotherandree: We bought our house about 2 yrs ago and ended up putting an offer in sight unseen! We spent about a month looking at houses and having them off the market within HOURS of listing. The house we bought was listed at 9pm and we put the offer in at 10, by the time the sellers office opened the next morning, they said they had 4 offers.
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this
We live just outside of Portland, Oregon and want to move two hours south. Even the smaller towns along the I-5 corridor are booming.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Where is here?

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: I hope they stop rising here soon because I noticed not only do the housing prices rise but property taxes do too.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

The Canadian housing market is all over the place.  Here in the capital it is much more stable but with interest rates rising, housing prices are going to go down.

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

The whole West coast, both American and Canadian, has stupid high housing prices.

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: We live just outside of Portland, Oregon and want to move two hours south. Even the smaller towns along the I-5 corridor are booming.
Quoting Linda_Runs:

Where is here?

Quoting Linda_Runs:

chicken13
by Bronze sister on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

When we sold our first house, we had a bidding war and neither buyer had seen the house.  And HELL YES, we loved every minute of it.  We were under contract 3 days after listing it and never had a single viewing because of it.

I'm hoping it's the same when we go to sell this house (which may be soon....)

Quoting anotherandree: We bought our house about 2 yrs ago and ended up putting an offer in sight unseen! We spent about a month looking at houses and having them off the market within HOURS of listing. The house we bought was listed at 9pm and we put the offer in at 10, by the time the sellers office opened the next morning, they said they had 4 offers.

kaarina
by Boston Strong on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

The market here is just like yours. I just got an email this morning from a real estate company saying my house is now worth $600,000 and they need inventory so would I like to sell. It's crazy. The house prices here are through the roof. I have an 1800 sq ft colonial on a 5 thousand sq ft postage stamp of a yard.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Like our area, skilled labor from other areas will move in and drive up prices because they can afford it. This isn't good for people on fixed incomes or lower wage earners.

Quoting RaeMarie:

Our area actually has property values climbing at a steady rate because some huge company (foxcon) has purchased property in our county, city which will bring thousands of jobs. 

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Hopefully rental prices stay stable and don't rise along with housing prices. My old rental has doubled in the almost 4 years since I moved.

Quoting Lb128f:

I don't know that much about buying in our area but it seems like things stay busy here with the local bases/military. I sure hope you can find something you like at a good price!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)