Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's crazy here. Prices are climbing and anything I might like is sold within a week and most likely within days. Trying to buy out of town is really hard. Inventory is also very low.

The way the housing market is right now I feel anxiety. I am afraid if prices keep climbing we'll be priced out. Housing dollars go so much further in other parts of the country, it's depressing. How is the market in your area?
by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM
Replies (21-30):
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this
Yikes!

Quoting chicken13: Yup. Housing in the northeast sucks big time.

Our first house was a massive fixer upper for $250k. 20+ years ago. Lol

Now you can’t even get a garage for that.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Sky High. You can't get a fixer upper for less than $350,000

chicken13
by Bronze sister on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this

It was BAD.  Like so bad that the realtor wouldn't go inside.  We were INSANE.

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: Yikes!
Quoting chicken13: Yup. Housing in the northeast sucks big time. Our first house was a massive fixer upper for $250k. 20+ years ago. Lol Now you can’t even get a garage for that.
Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Sky High. You can't get a fixer upper for less than $350,000

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Hopefully you won't have to get into bidding for your next place. I hear that's a real problem here. Sellers can sell their place quickly but then securing the next house is either expensive or it takes awhile to find another house.

Quoting chicken13:

When we sold our first house, we had a bidding war and neither buyer had seen the house.  And HELL YES, we loved every minute of it.  We were under contract 3 days after listing it and never had a single viewing because of it.

I'm hoping it's the same when we go to sell this house (which may be soon....)

Quoting anotherandree: We bought our house about 2 yrs ago and ended up putting an offer in sight unseen! We spent about a month looking at houses and having them off the market within HOURS of listing. The house we bought was listed at 9pm and we put the offer in at 10, by the time the sellers office opened the next morning, they said they had 4 offers.

chicken13
by Bronze sister on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

We are building and we already own the land.  So noone to fight but ourselves....

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: Hopefully you won't have to get into bidding for your next place. I hear that's a real problem here. Sellers can sell their place quickly but then securing the next house is either expensive or it takes awhile to find another house.
Quoting chicken13:

When we sold our first house, we had a bidding war and neither buyer had seen the house.  And HELL YES, we loved every minute of it.  We were under contract 3 days after listing it and never had a single viewing because of it.

Quoting anotherandree: We bought our house about 2 yrs ago and ended up putting an offer in sight unseen! We spent about a month looking at houses and having them off the market within HOURS of listing. The house we bought was listed at 9pm and we put the offer in at 10, by the time the sellers office opened the next morning, they said they had 4 offers.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
That would be ideal. More money in your pocket from the old place to build your dream house,

Quoting chicken13:

We are building and we already own the land.  So noone to fight but ourselves....

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: Hopefully you won't have to get into bidding for your next place. I hear that's a real problem here. Sellers can sell their place quickly but then securing the next house is either expensive or it takes awhile to find another house.

Quoting chicken13:

anotherandree
by Bronze sister on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:08 AM
3 moms liked this
It absolutely sucks when you're on the buying end! Lol. But I hope it's the same when we move too. That's just how fast houses go here.

Quoting chicken13:

RaeMarie
by RaeMarie on Feb. 6, 2018 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

The only houses that sit on the market here are the ones that are overpriced. The reasonably priced ones are flying. My dad keeps saying if our house goes up another $60K he is selling! I told him to keep dreaming because I am done moving!

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: Like our area, skilled labor from other areas will move in and drive up prices because they can afford it. This isn't good for people on fixed incomes or lower wage earners.
Quoting RaeMarie:

Our area actually has property values climbing at a steady rate because some huge company (foxcon) has purchased property in our county, city which will bring thousands of jobs. 

nussknacker
by Sandra - Nutlady on Feb. 6, 2018 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

No idea, really. All I know, is that ANYTHING that passes for a house will be sold in minutes only because of my kids school district. Which means I can probably rent out the tin can I am living in until my house is built to a young family, quite easily. Which is good, because my daughters are fighting over it already....so if they skip rent....I can hold this over them...

Lb128f
by Linda on Feb. 6, 2018 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this

OMG that's ridiculous!

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: Hopefully rental prices stay stable and don't rise along with housing prices. My old rental has doubled in the almost 4 years since I moved.
Quoting Lb128f:

I don't know that much about buying in our area but it seems like things stay busy here with the local bases/military. I sure hope you can find something you like at a good price!

ihave1
by Mariyum on Feb. 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure. In about a year we will start looking into buying a house. Maybe get get a fixer upper.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)