Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's crazy here. Prices are climbing and anything I might like is sold within a week and most likely within days. Trying to buy out of town is really hard. Inventory is also very low.

The way the housing market is right now I feel anxiety. I am afraid if prices keep climbing we'll be priced out. Housing dollars go so much further in other parts of the country, it's depressing. How is the market in your area?
by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM
Replies (51-60):
gsmom9
by Sister on Feb. 8, 2018 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Not great. Alot of places for sale. North Wisconsin. You can get a pretty nice place for around $100 grand

ninamsi
by Philly Mom/Nina on Feb. 8, 2018 at 10:54 AM

bump

LEK19
by Silver sister on Feb. 8, 2018 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

The market here where we are renting is good.

I have a house for sale where we used to live and the market there is really bad. A lot of people have been taking major losses. The contributing causes are what made us move in the first place!

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Feb. 8, 2018 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Not text to you in Ontario.  $100K won't get you anything there.

Quoting gsmom9:

Not great. Alot of places for sale. North Wisconsin. You can get a pretty nice place for around $100 grand

gsmom9
by Sister on Feb. 8, 2018 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Mansion down the road finally sold after being on the market around 3-4 yrs. Was a little over million and finally went for around 800,000. That house was crazy. The kind of house the realter shows online with roving panaramic camera. Extinct rainforest wood floors. Two doctors had built it. Just the front door knob and lock cost over $1000. Friends the locksmith. Thats an exception tho. Most rich peoples houses up here run $500-$600 thousand. Older 1 1/2 story houses a couple houses down sold $20,000 and other $40,000 this last year

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
It would be nice to be able to move to another region but I would be miserable without the kids

Quoting gsmom9:

Mansion down the road finally sold after being on the market around 3-4 yrs. Was a little over million and finally went for around 800,000. That house was crazy. The kind of house the realter shows online with roving panaramic camera. Extinct rainforest wood floors. Two doctors had built it. Just the front door knob and lock cost over $1000. Friends the locksmith. Thats an exception tho. Most rich peoples houses up here run $500-$600 thousand. Older 1 1/2 story houses a couple houses down sold $20,000 and other $40,000 this last year

fivekids2220
by New sister on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My son just bought a house in the Royal oak/Berkley area. He lost out on several homes despite offering over asking. We had a similar experience in the Rochester area. I think we finally got the fifth house we bid on. Our home sold quickly after multiple offers.

Quoting D-Town:

I live in Detroit so houses are a dime a dozen. And we have the $100 home program going on right now too to help sell off some of the abandoned homes. The downside is that they homes are in Detroit and most need severe renovations done to them. 

Outside of Detroit, into the suburbs, houses are expensive. You really have to have something special to your home for it to sell quickly. 

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm afraid of the process being much like this

Quoting fivekids2220: My son just bought a house in the Royal oak/Berkley area. He lost out on several homes despite offering over asking. We had a similar experience in the Rochester area. I think we finally got the fifth house we bid on. Our home sold quickly after multiple offers.

Quoting D-Town:

I live in Detroit so houses are a dime a dozen. And we have the $100 home program going on right now too to help sell off some of the abandoned homes. The downside is that they homes are in Detroit and most need severe renovations done to them. 

Outside of Detroit, into the suburbs, houses are expensive. You really have to have something special to your home for it to sell quickly. 

thebadkitty
by Sister on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

The cost to build the houses is based on economical prices. Sadly the cost to build has gone up. We cannot dismiss the cost we pay good quality "Americans" to do the hard labor "construction" building these homes.

Sadly our pay isn't keeping up with the housing market. But I do know the housing market is overpriced. Hubby has had a hard time selling anything for the past two years.

XSPECTRUMKAREN
by Sister on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean. I closed on a small house last month. I was uncomfortable with all of my retirement savings in the stock market. It's a fixer upper and we are finding some weird problems. The clean out has water in it and the showers and sinks won't drain. I have someone coming to look at it today. I've never heard of this problem and hope that it isn't a big fix.

I still feel good about my decision to buy. I feel like it's a good decision in the long term. I'll keep you posted!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)