Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lung Not Undefined Small Cell

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 253 Total Views

Initially my husband was diagnosed with undefined small cell carcinoma that was in his liver. There were 3 types they found in his liver biopsy which including small cell, pancreatic, and one other.

They had him get ready for chemo but have been putting it off cuz the oncologist wanted to try and get the specific source so they didnt have to do a general course of chemotherapy but one specified for whatever the source was.

Anywho, all his blood work has been clean and there were nodules in his lungs but they did a biopsy and it was clear. No cancer anywhere else but the liver.

His oncologist called the lab who did the liver biopsy and had the head tech(friend of the drs) relook at the initial findings.

Turns out the tech got it wrong. Its LUNG cancer that set up shop in his liver not the other stuff they reported at first.

So now we have a new course of chemo to start on him tomorrow(wish us luck)and instead of every week for 3 mths its just every 3 wks for 3 mths. 

Im so glad they found the source and can be more specific and we are so ready to kick this cancers butt!!!!! However, I must say its really weird that its lung cancer living in his liver and not anywhere else LOL. 

HILLARIE~
Married to a good man. Mother to 3 chaotically joyful boys.

Life is hell but its also a giant blessing!!!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Nature_girl
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I am glad that they double checked everything. Sounds like he has a great team. That is important.

Amaranth361
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM

We werent so sure at first but its ok now, didnt have much choice anyway.

He had chemo on Wednesday and the first med had a bad reaction so they stopped that and will do the alternative next go round. The second med did fine and he's avoiding us as best he can and sleeping a lot. So far no odd reactions to foods or anything else.

TBH
by on Sep. 20, 2010 at 10:47 AM

My mother had the treatment that was every 3 weeks for her small cell lung cancer. She reacted wonderfully to it. You may want to ask his Dr about an antinausea med called Emend. It can be expensive but most insurance will pay for it. It really mad a difference in Mother being able to tolorate the chemo. They also gove her a steroid(decodron) that boosted her energy level.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)