Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have bone cancer will fight to the en

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 264 Total Views

ladybugI found out in march 2010 that I had cancer - I have multiple myeloma. What a blow that was, trying to figure out what I am going to do being a divorced single mom of two kids. One is my daughter that is going to be 23 and just graduated from UGA, the other is my 14 year old son that has learning disabilities. How am I going to break that to them. Well I did and right now they are both dealing well. I went thru 5 rounds of chemo then had a stem cell gathering at Emory hospital in Atlanta in Sept. 2010. Right now I am in remission but still taking oral chemo meds. as maintenance drug. Still having to go each month to be checked out. In May 2011 my co. fired me and right now I am unemployed and no insurance. Dealing with all my day to day duties and dealing my kids and trying to find work and going to dr. appts. This is life at this time.

Kathy in GEORGIA

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AUGUSTMOM25
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM

I failed to mention that I am 51 years old right now. 

GramaTeri
by Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Wow, So sorry to hear this news!  You came to the right page for support and advice.  Personally, I have bone mets from Breast Cancer, one year now since that diagnosis and doing ok w/ Zometa treatments and such.   

We take life day by day and cherish each day God has given us.  I'm glad to hear you were open with your children.  They are at an age where they should know what is going on and can be helpful and supportive.  They will also have their own fears however...so don't expect too much from them right away.  This may take some time for them to absorb.  Just be honest and open with them and make sure to show them love and understanding as well as it can be scary to them as it is to you I'm sure. 

As for being fired from your job... not cool!   See if you can qualify for Social Security Disablilty, You may qualify for Medicaid for your condition as well, especially if you are able to obtain the SSDI.  And if you were fired for your illness, I'd contact a lowyer as well.  Social Security may be able to advise you on that issue, I'm not sure. 

Make sure you are eating properly with your treatments also, find out if your medical facility has a nutritionist you can work with to make sure you are getting the proper nourishment and a physical therapist that can help you with your mobility.  Bone tumors can be very painful and cause pain in other parts of the body as well as the inflammation that surrounds them can contain nerve endings and of course, muscle tissue.  Keep a journal of your pain levels and activities that bring on pain, or relief... and share w/ your doc..   

I will be praying for you from this end.  Feel free to contact me whenever you need someone to talk with. I'm on here at least a few times a week, depending on how I am feeling ; )  God Bless you my friend.  Take it easy!!

GramaTeri 

newmamanew2town
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I am so sorry. Did you lose your job because of your illness? I'm not sure that is legal.  Do you have a supportive family? You are in my prayers! Fight this and win!!

smile4me2
by Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Augustmom my prayers are with you and your family. I know how it feels to be going through difficult times and feel like there's no way out or that your sinking, but try to stay positive and let people know about your situation there might be people out there who can help. God is your strength and your rock don't let go of your faith because he will be there to guide you and to pick you up.

As for your kids i'm sure that they would want to know what is going on with you because they want to be there in any way to support you. Let them know that you are going to fight this. Please keep your spirits up sweetie!

CallieLynsMommy
by Admin & Fighter on Oct. 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM
Big hugs hun! I have osteosarcoma, so I know bone cancers well. You are a strong and brave spirit! I hope for continued remission for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)