Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband's cancer recurred...

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:47 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 301 Total Views

Hi all,

I'm new to this!

I'm now 16 weeks and my husband's cancer has returned to haunt us.

He was diagnosed with this rare cancer in his parathyroid.  He had a huge tumor removed in Feb 2009 and everything seemd OK afterwards.  Then about a month ago, some symptoms came back and he went for a blood test, and found that it has come back.  We quickly went for public and private doctors' advices and he went through an operation on 8 Aug (last week) to remove a parathyroid tumour and a nearby thyroid gland.

Since it's such a rare cancer, we don't have concrete statistics to fall back on.  We don't know if it is prone to recur after radiotherapy.  And we don't know the survival rate.

This has caused my husband to worry so much, even when he's always been very optimistic. It's affecting his mental state.  But he forces himself to be cheerful in front of me and our friends. He told me his feelings today.

All I can do is support him and be there for him.  And maybe get him to think about his duty when our daughter is born - so he has things to look forward to.  But deep down, I myself am also scared.  I cannot imagine him leaving me.  And we've only been married for less than 2 years.

I'm not a Christian or anything, so I cannot rely on any religion...

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
BaBeezandMe
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Hi there Hyda....my name is Jeanne and I have a similar situation but I am not pregnant.  My husband and I will celebrate our 14th anniversary on Sept 13th.  We have soon to be 7 year old ADHD/Autistic twin boys.  In May 09 my husband had his left kidney removed with a grapefruit sized cancerous tumor inside...he recovered and all was GREAT!

Fast forward to New Years Eve last year, he started coughing up blood and we rushed him to the ER.  They told us it was pneumonia....he wsa given an MRI and a few other tests, got his antibiotics and he was ok.  The MRI results were then forwarded to his oncologist and in early February this year he called to tell us it was Stage 4!  WHAT A BLOW!!!  What happened to Stages 1, 2 and 3.  I felt like he has NO CHANCE of survival..still do at this point.  Shortly after that we found out he had a tumor on his brain which they treated with traditional radiation and that almost killed him.  His quality of life is GONE!  The results of the radiation came back and the tumor actually swelled in the brain so they did Gamma Knife and it seemed to have worked for the brain.  "It seems to have shrunk and no new growth" is what we are being told now.  

Best part is, this is the SAME cancer that took my father in 1988.  My mother died of leukemia in 1990.  Family members of my husband's have battled and lost their fight.  I have a long history with this demon!

All I can do now is support and love him, stay as optomistic as I can about "the inevitable death of my husband" in front of everyone and take care of the boys all by myself as best I can!  I wish I was a miracle worker....

As far as religion goes, I don't have much faith anymore.  I have had a VERY HARD life!!  They say that GOD only gives us what we can handle.  YEAH RIGHT!!!  If this is his way of telling me he thinks highly of me then I need to find a way of lowering his thinking of me because I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!

surrender

I will keep you and your husband in my thoughts!  ((((HUGS))))

Hyda
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you for sharing your story with me.

I will try and stay strong like yourself.

Our yoga master (an Indian guy) has suggested us to start cutting down on meat, or even become a vegetarian.  We both think he has a point - too many hormones in meat.  And also animal farmer inject hormones into their animals to make them grow faster or for other reasons.  Apparently, vegetarians avoid more cancer than meat eaters.  Even though they have different statistics below links, at least, it seems there is a big chance to help fight cancer.  At the end of the day, we are what we eat.

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/cancer.aspx

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/5698784/Being-a-vegetarian-can-cut-your-risk-of-cancer-by-a-half-claim-scientists.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8127215.stm

In our situations, not only we want our husbands to prolong their lives, WE ourselves have to stay healthy too!!  Got kids to looks after!!  I don't eat a lot of meat anyway, so cutting down is no problem to me.  It's a lot more hard work for my husband I think... but he is already trying.  We want to stay positive.

I will also keep you and your husband in my thoughts.

Let's fight together!

Hyda
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Oh, but our yoga master did say - eat fish. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)