Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when is someone considered cancer-free?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 193 Total Views

my mom had her surgery last month and finished a series of 6 rounds of chemo, she'll be getting another 2 starting next week. they removed all masses and did a full hysterectomy (for ovarian cancer). the surgeon said there was only microscopic cells remaining and the fluid in her abdomen tested positive with cancer cells.

my question is, is she now cancer free since there's no more tumors?

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
claddison
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM

i would say no since there are still positive cancer cells, but then again i am not an oncologist.

when i went through chemo i wasn't considered cancer cree until the tumors and the cancer cells were all gone. 

Lwilliams83
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that if there are still cancer cells, it's not considered cancer free. But she sounds well on her way! My mom if also fighting ovarian cancer. Since 2009. She went through the surgery and chemo as well. Her dr let her know when she was cancer free. I remember that day so well. It only lasted for a few months, but those are wonderful words when you do finally hear them.
boom_maker
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

thank you ladies. this group always makes me tear up, haha. my mom's journey has been a rough one. i know ovarian cancer has a very high reoccurance rate but i know there are women out there that have remained "cancer-free" for 10+ yrs. i missed her last onc appt but i plan to make her next one.

KeriAZ
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I have been told u are not cancer free until ur 5th yr. Until then u are in remisson. I have 2 more yrs to be labelled cancer free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)