Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I thought that things would get easier...after treatment ended...

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 134 Total Views

but they haven't my husband after 7 wks of chemo and radiation 5days a week is still losing weight and in a lot of pain. They said at first he might be able to eat Thanksgiving dinner....then it was Christmas....now they just can't even give us a timeline because his recovery has been soooo slow...I know things take time...but I feel like I'm watching him die...he's almost lost 50lbs (48 to be exact) and he just can't eat. He's had a feeding tube since wk 3 of treatment and thank God we did that because I think that his body would have shut down...I guess I just needed to vent because honestly there is just no one that knows what to say anymore or what we are going through. Everyone just stares at him...because they can't believe his rapid decline since treatment started. He was so healthy and awesome in September....and now 4 months later he's just wasting away...I know everyone's recovery time is different but for those of you that had chemo and radiation how long did it take before you actually were able to gain weight back? He had terrible side effects from treatments. His pain is in his mouth and throat where his cancer was so it makes it even more difficult to eat because of that.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
pitbull4me
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I am so sorry! I actually smoked pot.it freaked me out at 1st when my dr mentioned it.but, i was then able to have a little appetite and keep at least some down.my radiation and chemo,were neck,throat and face.lucky for me I was allergic to the chemo drugs and was on major doses of prednisone for 14 months.but still didn't eat for 41 days,until the pot.it stopped the queasys.

kinshipcaremama
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM
My little nephew is starting his second battle with cancer on the 22nd. I remember he lost a lot of weight during treatment the first time. He was 8 years old and weighed less than 35 lbs! It took several months to recover. Chemo and radiation are hard on the body. I hope your husband feels better soon.
FebPenguins
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM

hugs

mandybimama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Hugs! I stopped all treatment with my first battle in february 2009 and the only thing that allowed me to eat at all was the medical marijuana. It got rid of the nausea and vomiting plus gave me somewhat of an appetite back. I couldn't eat without smoking for about 6 months after ending treatment cause it was so hard on my body. Now knowing what I'm about to go through again I'm going to be smoking medical marijuana starting as soon as I get some. Its the only thing that gets me through.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)