Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need chemo, have toddler...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:41 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 163 Total Views

Anyone have any tips on this?  I have been diagnosed with choriocarcinoma and will soon begin an intensive chemo treatment with twenty-four hours of treatment one day every other week with a four hour day on the off weeks.  I am set to see my doc to discuss details this Friday, and I am worried about how it will be given.  I don't expect to need many treatments, hopefully, so a port seems too much, and a PICC line worries me because it is going to leave things exposed and dangling.  I have an 18 month old daughter who hates things hanging off me, I know this from when I had to have an IV with her around and she kept screaming and trying to remove it.  Any tips?

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SoInLove515
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM
I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I'm not sure but here's a bump <3
kinshipcaremama
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I'd suggest you talk to the social worker at the hospital.  They would probably have some resources for you.  If you can't afford childcare they may have a list of people who volunteer with cancer patients.  Good luck!

RishawnsMom
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

The port may be a better solution for you.  It's a quick implant and your baby won't be able to see it. It may be better for you as well.  That way they won't have to worry with finding veins each time for your treatment.  Your veins will shrink up a bit with chemo. 

kryjen
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I am going to use the IV for as long as I can and then do a port if we have to. 

pitbull4me
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I did the iv choice until it stripped and destroyed my veins and the port was the only option. this time I am going straight for the port.

my son was 4 months when I started and 19 months when I had my last treatment. he is 4 1/2 now and the port will be much easier.

good luck!

kryjen
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Quoting pitbull4me:

I did the iv choice until it stripped and destroyed my veins and the port was the only option. this time I am going straight for the port.

my son was 4 months when I started and 19 months when I had my last treatment. he is 4 1/2 now and the port will be much easier.

good luck!

Thanks!  You too!  I hopefully won't need too many treatments and will be done in no time.

pitbull4me
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:42 PM

thanks! that would be divine, lol

Quoting kryjen:

Quoting pitbull4me:

good luck!

Thanks!  You too!  I hopefully won't need too many treatments and will be done in no time.

"People don't have a pit bull problem, pit bulls have a people problem."

First they came for the Pit Bulls
and they banned them and killed them
their owners cried out in horror but I did not object
because I did not own pit bulls.

Then they came for the Rottweilers
and they banned them and muzzled them
their owners cried out in protest but I did not object
because I did not own Rottweilers.
Today they have come for my dogs
and they will ban them and take them from me
as I cry out in outrage and anger no one objects
because they do not own my dogs.

Montanamom1981
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I have a port, it seems to be the most toddler friendly, but if this isn't going to be a long term thing I wouldn't do it either.  

kryjen
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM

If everything works, I should be done by late September or early October.  I think that's too short of a time.  What do you think?

Quoting Montanamom1981:

I have a port, it seems to be the most toddler friendly, but if this isn't going to be a long term thing I wouldn't do it either.  

sweeties38
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Ive had cancer twice,first time i didnt have port,blood work,ct scans chemo etc is so much easier on  me,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)