Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help me help my sister

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:28 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 239 Total Views

I need your help. My dear sister, sharon, was in remission from CNS lymphoma. yes, was...we just celebrated remission not too long ago.

We also just celebrated a miracle pregnancy. She's currently three months pregnant. 

It's beyond tragic. Her choice is either to start chemo immediately and lose the pregnancy, or wait until the end of pregnancy until starting chemo would most likely be too late.

She has an adorable little boy and a supportive husband, but the woman I know now is nothing like the sister I used to know. She's struggling with severe depression and anxiety from the medical bills piling in and the though of starting this process all over.

So here's what I HAVE done:

-We go to the park a few times a week just to get her out in the sunshine

-I try to watch her baby at least once a month so that they can get out for a date night

-I set up a Gofundme account. I honestly think that this is the most overwhelming part of the whole situation. Cancer is not just an emotional disease but it affects your WHOLE livelihood. We haven't really had any luck with it though, so I'm thinking about shutting it down. (If any of you have any advice about medical bills, I'll take that too)

-I encourage her to go to support groups, etc and I listen.

If any of you can think of anything else I can be doing, please let me know. How can we prepare for this loss? It's just heartbreaking.

Thanks so much.

Any help is beyond appreciated. I need my sister back

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
kinshipcaremama
by on Feb. 5, 2015 at 8:08 PM
I'm so sorry your sister and family are having to live with cancer. My step sister was diagnosed with cancer when she was pregnant. She chose to continue the pregnancy and had a full hysterectomy as soon as my niece was born. She was lucky and has been cancer free for 20+ years. Has your sister talked to her oncologist about the risks of continuing the pregnancy? She needs to explore her options and make the best decision for herself and her family. She is very lucky to have you for a sister. Keep up the loving support.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)