Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Esophageal Cancer

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:41 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 232 Total Views
HI!
   My husband of 7 years was diagnosed with EC on May 7, 2007. It is at stage 3. He has been to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Tx to get a 2nd opinion. They are so wonderful there and more than willing to work with his Dr's here in Arkansas. He hasn't started treatments yet, but, he starts radiation on Wednesday, June 20th. This has been the most indescribable time of my life. THISis not supposed to happen to me, my family. We have 2 small kids. My daughter, Peyton starts k-garten this fall. We have to much to do to have to go through this. He can not eat solid food. nothing will go down. He has resorted to eating chicken noodle soup. He has lost about 60lbs since January. He is going to have to have a feeding tube inserted into his small intestine. After chemo and radiation, he will have a small portion of his esophagus and stomach removed and the remaining portion of his stomach will be pulled up to meet the remaining part of his esophagus. He will never be able to sleep laying down again. He is too young for this. I am too young for this. My kids know that Daddo is sick, but they have no idea how sick he really is. I have told them that "Daddo is sick. He will be taking some medicine that will help him get better, but it will still make him sick." I know that they don't understand. She is 5, he is 3. My friend and family here have been great! My MOPS girls are rallying around us. They want to cook dinners for us. EVERYONE is praying. Thanks for having this group. Thanks for letting me ramble on.
~Brandy
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
corrections74
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:02 PM
I just want to say i completely understand how you feel, I just went through breast cancer myself and i'm only 32. I will keep your family in my prayers
cocoqueen31
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:08 PM
Oh honey, Im soo sorry that you have to go through this, its not easy and there is just no candy coating this one.  You have alot ahead of you, but everyone here will be praying for you and your family, VENT, CRY ON OUR SHOULDERS,  Thats what we are here for. 

I got my cancer diagnosis at the age of 32.  The only real advice that I can give is to keep the lines of communication open with your doctors, nurses ANY and ALL resource people that they can send you too.  There is alot of informaiton and support groups out there.

Take Care, Your beautiful family needs you.  Those of us here will be praying for you. 
cancerfightnmom
by Member on Jun. 19, 2007 at 9:48 PM
Your family will be in my prayers.  Feel free to send me a message & vent anytime.  ~Missy~
maggie821
by Member on Jun. 21, 2007 at 3:30 PM
my husband is 43yrs old he also had Esophageal cancer, he had the surgery first, then had chemo.......I am so sorry you have to go through this....my whole story is on my journal at my home page....I have to keep talking to get a grip on myself for him and my 2 kids(mine our teens) not sure which is harder when they know to much or when they are smaller I guess no matter what it sticks......after my husband had the surgery he is now able to eat most things without a problem......please keep me posted....The chemo did a number on him.....but I am so greatful to have him.......even if it is not the same..If you haven't applied for Social Security, I advise you to do it now...it takes 6months to a year to get it and every little bit helps...with a diagnosis of cancer it usually takes less time...

If you need another opinion i know it is a long way from you, but the surgeon at Yale Univeristy in Ct...did a great job.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Maggie
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)