Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gramma Holley's Memorial

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:52 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 255 Total Views
My husband's gramma passed away 5 years ago this June 23, from breast cancer.  Very sad.  What a wonderful lady! She is truly missed.
Every year on the anniversary of her death, we try to do something to celebrate her life and to give back to those struggling with breast cancer.  For example, this year we are going to have a fundraiser for Breast Cancer Research with my small business.
  Afterwards, we will go to her grave site and place 12 Pink Peonies by her gravestone.  (Those are her favorite)
Last year, we made 25 pink quilts and delivered them to the hospital for use when patients are in the hospital for their chemo, and other treatments.

The year before that we took self exam pamphlets and mailed them to all our friends, acquaintences, neighbors etc.  We found a place that will do free mammograms (well, on a wage scale) and included that information, a letter telling about the life of Gramma Holley, and one of those pink ribbon magnets for their car.

What do y'all do to celebrate the lives of others?

Tracy
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
JaynaMarie
by on Jun. 25, 2007 at 12:06 PM
Used to be that my mom (and two vans of her friends) would travel to my city and we would do Race for the Cure every year-we always turned it into a fun weekend and went to spas, out to eat, etc.

I had cancer when I was 17 so like to volunteer for Make-A-Wish as well as The American Cancer Society and this year was a group leader for Daffodil Days where they sell Daffodils to raise money.

A couple years ago we had a fundraiser at our house-it was a Texas Hold Em party-$20 to play and 1/2 of all proceeds went to Make-A-Wish and the other half went to the top 3 players...we couldn't believe when about 60 people showed up at our house!  The game lasted about 7 hours (till 3 am) and we raised about $1000 with the game and a raffle and it was so much fun!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)