Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2007 at 7:25 PM
  • 470 Replies
  • 10787 Total Views
Hello everyone, I have started three groups so far but none of them are as important to me as this one. I am a Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor of ten years now. I was diagnosed RIGHT before I graduated High School back in 1996 and was graced with a quick session of chemotherapy and survival. I didn't want to make this group specific to survivors, as I feel all cancer fighters at all levels can benefit from everyones experience regardless of their current status.

Although it has been ten years since my battle it is still very raw for me to talk about. Even now as I type I am getting all teary!

Now as a mother I fear the repercussions of my choice of giving birth to my beautiful little lady. I had to battle with the idea of not being able to have kids (as I was told by doctors in the past) due to chemo. So when my body was host to a little spirit I was astonished and troubled. Obviously I made my decision. One that to this day I still have mixed feelings about.

Anyway! I don't want to blow my proverbial "wad" here so with that, welcome, I love you although I don't know you and I hope this group can help alleviate your anxiety and elevate your spirit.

-Selene
by on Feb. 9, 2007 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HJT2281
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2007 at 7:38 PM

HELLO. MY MOM PASSED ON 4 1/2 YEARS AGO... CAN I STILL BE A MEMBER?

petticoatpirate
by Admin & Fighter on Feb. 9, 2007 at 7:41 PM
ABSOLUTELY!  Again, I want EVERYONE who has been effected by cancer in ANY FORM to have a home here. 

Thanks for joining!
StartingOver
by on Feb. 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM
Hello, My name is Deb and my Mom has terminal cancer of the pancreas. Congrats on beating your cancer!!!!  We found out in November of 2006 tht Mom had 8 to 14 months. Such a short time!!!. She has already been thru one round of chemo and radiation, and so far she is hanging in there. Thank you for starting this support group.
Lexismama
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2007 at 7:45 PM
Hi! My name is Tiffany. I moved to Florida in June of 2005 with my then fiance (now husband) We got an apartment right down the street from my grams , shes the only person we knew here.  In October of 2005 she went in to have her galbladder removed and they found Pancreatic Cancer, She had surgery right before Halloween to remove the tumor and found out it was the last stage and there was no getting rid of it all, so They did gastric bypass to make it easier for her to digest foods.  She has had her ups and downs and has been on chemo to make her live longer but she's going down hill rapidly.  She's had 3 surgerys to put stents in her bile duct because shes been turning jaundice, the tumor has invaded the duct and moving into the liver...

Its a very hard thing to watch a family member that you love go through. She is only 60 years old , and it has taken away everything she loved to do.  She said the only thing she wanted to do is make it to see my daughter born (the doctors only gave her 6 months in October of 2005) She made it to that so now we're going for her first birthday! 6 months away!
tlm3
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2007 at 1:37 AM
I'm a supporter! My best friend of 12 years has Breast Cancer(stage 4 Matatized)Its in her bones now and she just finished 6 months chemo. She is what we are calling stunted for now!As her cancer will not go away barring a miracle of coarse! We try to laugh alot but really I feel like crying all the time i hate seeing her go thru this I feel so helpless!All I can do is be there however and whenever she needs me! She and I are both single moms ,her of two boys 15 and 13!Mine are girls 11 and 15 !I'm not sure what else to say I just need support sometimes so that i can continue to be helpful to my friend!
myboyzluvme
by Member on Feb. 12, 2007 at 4:50 PM
I was diagnosed about 8 months ago with DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma Insitu).  Early stage of bc.  I am 36, happily married with 2 precious boys, 10 & 4.  I was devasted and scared.    I have undergone a tram flap procedure which involved bilateral masectomy and 37 treaments of radiation which I finished a month ago!  Woohoo!!!   Hopefully, it's all gone and will NEVER come back!

My mom/best friend passed away in 1999 with lung cancer.  This was the most horrible time for me and I miss her terribly.  She was only 49.

My brother took his own life 2 years ago and the young age of 24.  Absolutety heart wrenching.  

Lost many other relatives as well.  I can tell you from my own experiences with this, I am a different person and my priorities in this life has so changed.  
petticoatpirate
by Admin & Fighter on Feb. 12, 2007 at 11:23 PM
Your girlfriend is lucky to have someone like you in her life.  While I was sick I realized how difficult it was for loved ones to see me go through my ordeal.   It was easier for me to go through it all then for them I think.  Jajaja, as impossible as it seems...but when you are fighting you have purpose and a goal and you do what you have to but as a supporter all you can do is standby and offer moral support.  What a feeling of helplessness!

The universe has blessed her with you and I am sure she cherishes every moment.  Hugs, Selene
Quoting tlm3:

I'm a supporter! My best friend of 12 years has Breast Cancer(stage 4 Matatized)Its in her bones now and she just finished 6 months chemo. She is what we are calling stunted for now!As her cancer will not go away barring a miracle of coarse! We try to laugh alot but really I feel like crying all the time i hate seeing her go thru this I feel so helpless!All I can do is be there however and whenever she needs me! She and I are both single moms ,her of two boys 15 and 13!Mine are girls 11 and 15 !I'm not sure what else to say I just need support sometimes so that i can continue to be helpful to my friend!

petticoatpirate
by Admin & Fighter on Feb. 12, 2007 at 11:25 PM
First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Yes let us all keep the hope that you are in the clear...positive thoughts for a positive body.

I am sorry to hear of your many losses and yes I can only imagine that between your own personal experience with the disease and your families tragedies your priorities have indeed changed.  Thank you for joining our group and for sharing your ordeals. 

Love to you my sister,
Selene
Quoting myboyzluvme:

I was diagnosed about 8 months ago with DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma Insitu). Early stage of bc. I am 36, happily married with 2 precious boys, 10 & 4. I was devasted and scared. I have undergone a tram flap procedure which involved bilateral masectomy and 37 treaments of radiation which I finished a month ago! Woohoo!!! Hopefully, it's all gone and will NEVER come back!

My mom/best friend passed away in 1999 with lung cancer. This was the most horrible time for me and I miss her terribly. She was only 49.

My brother took his own life 2 years ago and the young age of 24. Absolutety heart wrenching.

Lost many other relatives as well. I can tell you from my own experiences with this, I am a different person and my priorities in this life has so changed.

KoolMama
by on Feb. 13, 2007 at 12:42 PM
Hi, my name is Lynne. 9 yrs ago I was diagnosed with a Stage 2 tumor in my sinus cavity. I had surgery to remove the tumor, which involved removal of the Sinus Cavity itself and the removal of the upper left-side of my jaw. I then received 8 weeks of intense Radiation Therapy. I have been cancer-free for 9 yrs now, with only one scare, just a few months ago. Recently, I've started my own group: Moms with Disabilities. I didn't want to focus on just one disability in particular. It's nice to have a place to go where everyone has the same thing in common, that is why I came here, but sometimes you need a little diversity. If you ever want to stop by and check it out, please do so.
sjs
by on Feb. 13, 2007 at 1:34 PM
Hi.  My name is Sara and my seven year old son was diagnosed with Stage 3 Anaplastic Wilms Tumor on 12/28/05.  He is 4 months out from treatment and currently cancer free. Laughing  Best wishes to all!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)