Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My insurance situation

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2008 at 11:24 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 136 Total Views

So, I haven't even lived in Louisiana for a year and when I tried to switch my insurance over, not only was it over 3 times higher than what I was paying before, but they said I could not get renters insurance in my area unless I lived in an apartment on the second floor.

We didn't know even what a flood zone was before we moved here and flet like the realtor should have warned us about these things. There was a 30 day wait on getting flood insurance before we evacuated, so we don't have that. Our renters insurance is still in GA as of now, so I may be in a really bad situation if this storm ruins our house. The lanlord should have flood insurance, but that is not going to cover my personal items. I'm so worried right now that this is going to get worse for us. The insurance has covered other other things in Louisiana no problem, since we have been there. I just hope it will this time.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ADDD

shouting

by on Aug. 31, 2008 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
southernlamom
by on Aug. 31, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Sweetie I hate to tell you, your personal items are not covered then if u dnt have retners ins. The landlords ins only covers the bldg...renters ins covers your personal items. I hope the best and that all ur stuff and home comes out ok!

Yes its common that ins policies wont be written whent heres a storm in the gulf. The best time to get any flood or retners ins is NOT in hurricane season that way theres no worries about coverage at that time.

Good lucK!

rosetreats
by on Sep. 1, 2008 at 1:04 AM

I have renters insurance, but it's just in another state. I hope it all comes out ok.

Quoting southernlamom:

Sweetie I hate to tell you, your personal items are not covered then if u dnt have retners ins. The landlords ins only covers the bldg...renters ins covers your personal items. I hope the best and that all ur stuff and home comes out ok!

Yes its common that ins policies wont be written whent heres a storm in the gulf. The best time to get any flood or retners ins is NOT in hurricane season that way theres no worries about coverage at that time.

Good lucK!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ADDD

shouting

southernlamom
by on Sep. 1, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Well it looks like it might not be as bad as they thought...and I hope u wont have to worry about it! :)Keep us posted!

amy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)