Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not a debate...just for informational purposes. 12/15/08

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 248 Total Views

This post is not the place to debate over the options but I am curious to know where everyone stands. The topic will change probably from week to week, and once again just post where you stand on the issue, feel free to start a Debate Post on the topic as you see fit if I haven't already.  Please do not "quote" in this post unless it to say I feel the exact same way, but really I think the intelligent women that are here should be able to state their stance on their own.

This weeks topic- Legalization of Marijuana

Where do you stand on the legalization argument? Why?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MaMaLaLa369
by Group Owner on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:46 AM

i am for legalization and/or decriminalization. there are so many more useful things our tax dollars could be doing. the revenue generated from taxing and regulating marijuana could be used for so many different things. many people get great relief with medical marijuana. it is so much safer than man-made chemicals, and has much fewer side effects. marijuana has never killed anyone. many people busted on drug charges and sent to jail are just for a simple possession of a personal amount. how does it make sense to put them in a cell next to a guy who held up a conveniece store with a gun or a guy who raped 6 women? if you ask me, jail is where more criminals are created. happy, peaceful pot smokers are not dangerous and we are everywhere you least expect it.

Gemmi280
by Group Admin on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM

right on!

I'm all for the legalization of the herb, but if i have to accept decriminalization for now i will...there are countless other things that our tax dollars should be spent on other than busting some harmless hippies...marijuana is the safest medicinal plant on the face of the planet and i, for one think the world would be a much better place if we all ingested cannabis in one form or another. did you ladies know that our bodies have special receptors called Cannabinoid receptors that are activated by cannabinoids, generated naturally inside the body (endocannabinoids) or introduced into the body as cannabis or a related synthetic compound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor

this alone is enough to realize that it should be legalized! never mind all the other mind-blowingly awesome studies . down with the big tobacco and alcohol companies who fear losing money if it were legalized!

anklebitr
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM

I am not a smoker of it  but I say just make it legal.  Sure there are bone heads who smoke pot but there are plenty of bone heads who drink and smoke too. 

Mom of two: Caitlyn and Torin Owner of group: Hubby has type 2 diabetes

hottiemommy2002
by Group Admin on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:28 AM

I think that it should be legalized for medicinal purposes and IF they were to legalize it for everyone, there should be an age restriction on it just like cigarettes or alcohol.  There are people out there who may be responsible enough to handle it as a recreational thing, but there are so many others who aren't and would take advantage of it.  While responsibility doesn't always come with age, and there are dumbasses at all ages, and of course you'd still have all of the "underage" smokers, but at least you'd have an adult making an adult decision.

Gemmi280
by Group Admin on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:02 PM

people who smoke pot to allievite pain, or other symptoms of cancer, depression, HG, etc. are NOT "boneheads" for picking a natural, very safe and effective way for treating their symptoms!

ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:49 PM

While I do agree that there are medical conditions that can be helped by occasionally smoking pot my question is how can the government regulate the purity of it once it was legalized? Who would be responsible for making sure that you were getting a safe product? I've taken care of patients over the years who bought pot off the street in hopes of alleviating medical symptoms only to end up sicker because it was laced with something (FYI, it is not legal even for medical reasons in WV at this time). Some of the more common things its often found to be laced with around here is crack cocaine and pcp. So I guess my thought is whether its legal or not how can a patient be assured they are getting pure marijuana?

tat2edmommyof2
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Just to try to make things clear I think the bonehead comment was more to the effect that stupid people are stupid people regardless of whether they smoke or drink. I don't think it was to imply that stupid people are stupid people because they smoke.

And as far as regulation of the herb goes, I would imagine it would be monitored by a government agency just like any other substance out there. Medical marijuana is not purchased from dealers on the streets. It is grown by the patient or their advocate or purchased from vending machines. I have been smoking for 12 + years now and have NEVER purchased a bag (even from complete strangers) that was laced with anything. So I'm curious to hear from anyone else that lives other places in regards to "laced" bags.

So needless to say, I am for the legalization and decriminalization of pot. Both medicinal and recreational. I agree that there should be an age limit set on its recreational use just as there are limits on cigarettes and alcohol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)