Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not a debate, for informational purposes only. 1/26/09

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

This post is not the place to debate over the options but I am curious to know where everyone stands. The topic will change probably from week to week, and once again just post where you stand on the issue, feel free to start a Debate Post on the topic as you see fit if I haven't already.  Please do not "quote" in this post unless it to say I feel the exact same way, but really I think the intelligent women that are here should be able to state their stance on their own.

This Weeks Topic- How old is too old?

How old in your opinion is too old to be having children? Why? Do you feel age determines a persons ability to parent? What about physical condition? If an older person was in prime physical condition would you feel the same way about them becoming a parent? Does your opinion very on the sex of the individual? Do you feel someone should still try to become pregant if they are medically advised against it because of age?

All of that having been asked, how do you feel about products that increase the virility of the older generation? Do you think the "advances" in ED medicines and the like are contributing to the number of "older" parents? 

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
RJSMOMMA
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I'm to old to have more children, lol but thats exactly it I believe that each woman is diffrent when one decides she wants to have another and is healthy enough to bare another child, that decision should be between her and her doctor. more and more women are wating until there 30s-40s to even start having children, either were having babies too young or were poppin em out to late.

my husband had his last child (my stanley) when he was 40,(no ED meds were involved) lol, his youngest b4 that was 17 (with a 3 yr old her self) he is now 50 and (before our sugeries) had he wanted to have another child, sure why not 50-60 is not really that old his dad is 87 yrs old so if he can stick arround that long himself he could completly raise another set of children or two.

besides having young, growing kids in the home keeps you feeling young and like theres something to stick arround for.

MaMaLaLa369
by Group Owner on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM

if someone feels they are capable of handling a baby, i don't see any reason why they shouldn't. i woud raise my eyebrows at a 50 year old woman trying to get pregnant, but it's her choice. personally, i feel if your doctor has advised you against carrying a child, then i think adoption should be heavily considered. there are waaaaaaaay too many children getting lost in the system, and statistically, they just don't do well in life without that "family support system". i don't feel like it should matter if you are male or female and want to have a child at any given age.

ED meds are probably helping with older couples having children. i don't really see anything wrong with that. most men measure their worth in how they "perform", so if it makes them happy, good for them.

madys_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I'll be 34 when I have this baby, and I don't think I'll be having more...I'm going to be 50 when Mady graduates and 52 when lil baby graduates.  My parents were young parents, so I had young grandparents.  Matt's parents started having kids at  24, but they had 6 kids over 18 years.  So, my grandparents and a couple years older than his parents.  My parents are a few years older than his older brother.  I'm not anyone to say what other people should or shouldn't do...BUT for me...I want to be able to enjoy my grandkids, and maybe even great grandkids.

tat2edmommyof2
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I too do not wish to set an age limit...as long as you feel young enough..go for it. But I shall lay out what I think are some things to consider when becoming a parent at an older age.

Physical limitations...These are some things I often wonder about when "older" people are considering becoming a parent. Babies require so much physical attention and activity. Once it is problematic to get up and down off the floor, bend and stoop or use your hands freely I think it is time to not have children. It's not fair to you or the baby.

(these do not really apply to grandparents rasing grandchildren or the like as there is'nt usually a choice there and you just do what you've got to do)

Age comparitively to the age of the child. Don't get me wrong I know some folks well into their 50's that are hipper than I could ever imagine being but realistically I do not feel you should be in your 70's watching your child graduate high school.

I think once anyone has been warned or told by a doctor that it would nbe adetriment to you or the baby to become pregnant you should'nt. This has less to do with age and more with responsibilty. I would desperately  love to havve another baby but know in my heart of hearts it would probably put me and the baby at a severe health risk. Thus as a responsible person and parent to my girls we do not actively try to get pregnant.

I personally fear more for an older pregant mother than I do the father but that is because as long as he does not suffer a stroke or heart attack during coitus he's not at much risk.

I guess when it comes down to it woith me it's apersonal decision but I feel pregancy at any age shopuld be carefully considered before TTC. 

tat2edmommyof2
by on Feb. 4, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Just like the hot seat...this topic will be left up unitl next Monday when I PROMISE to change it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)