Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New group member

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 773 Total Views
Hi, all, my name is Diana and I am the 55 year old mother of 14 year old twin boys. One of my sons was diagnosed with aspergers when he was 4 years old. He is a handsome, sweet, fun, hard working young man who brings us tremendous joy, however, raising him is not without its challenges. He attends a public school and we have been very blessed to have had excellent teachers. Fortunately for us, one of our school district's strengths is the experience it has with autistic children.

My son is basically a happy child but unlike a lot of asperger kids, he longs for friends. His twin is very outgoing, popular, and has lots of friends. In some ways, that makes it harder on my son with aspergers. He doesn't understand why he isn't invited every where his brother is. When they were younger, most of the time both boys would be invited places. As they have gotten older, that is less and less the case.

We have never put them in the same classroom at school (well, since kindergarten) and they are involved in a few different activities. This does not seem to matter. It breaks my heart to see my son home when his brother is out with friends, etc. but it is not fair to make one son take the other. I guess I need advice on how to help my son.

Sorry that I have written so much.

Any comments are more than welcome! And if any of you with younger children with aspergers have questions, please ask. I will help if I am able.

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
dmsfr
by Group Owner & PITA on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Welcome to the group. My guy is 14 as well. 

Diana3632
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM
I would love to hear more about your son and experiences!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)