Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Difficulty in distinguishing truth from imagination

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 657 Total Views

Do any of your teens have this difficulty? My 13-year-old, especially when he is upset at something he has done, tells something with a grain of truth and a beachfront of fiction to deflect blame and very quickly embraces his new rationalization to the point he really thinks he's telling the truth. He also has an incredible imagination and releases stress by telling stories, but it's getting to the point that everything is a story when he's upset. 

He also doesn't understand why we can't just "forget a bad day ever happened." Today at church he got upset with his mentor (who stays with him one-on-one so we can attend the service). He shoved her and called her names and accused her of breaking something that belonged to him. (Not true, also.) The real reason he was upset was because she didn't let him play with her phone. 

I'm afraid he's going to hurt someone someday in a fit of anger, since he's getting bigger and heavier, and it's reaching the point it's hard to know what he's saying is true and what's not. He just "graduated" from behavioral therapy because he was doing so great! He has an IEP at school, a psychiatrist, and has been accepted for group therapy for anxiety but it hasn't started yet. 

I want to cry right now. And I am afraid to take him back to church.

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Hephner
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Hugs!!!!

Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN