Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school issues - sorry a little long

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 791 Total Views

My DS has just started High School.  He is main streamed with a 1 on 1.  He likes school but is acting out in class.  He is not doing assignments when given time in class, just says "I don't know" "I don't understand" "I can' t"  getting frustrated.  But when they get him to calm down he is able to do the work.  I don't know if this is a transition issue, defiance or what.  I will be having a meeting with the teacher whose class this happens in most often soon and need some ideas as to what to bring up and possible suggestions for dealing with them.  All the teachers are aware of his diagnosis, PDD-NOS, as we sent a letter to each of them the 1st week of school informing them of the diagnosis and the issues he has been displaying at this point. 

I am getting frustrated with what is going on and ex is no help, after 12 years he is still in denial that our DS has an ASD.  Claims he never shows the signs when he visits.  However my DS is verbal and says he's afraid of dad (dad is 6'3" so is big)  not that dad will hurt him just that he is so big.  And of course when at Dad's DS gets to do all the activities he wants not what he has to do. Never visits during school year so no homework or anything.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
girl_incognito
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

My best advice is to have a behavior plan in place if you don't already. If you don;t have one ask for a funstional Behavior Assessment, this is data they will collect to helo build a good behavior plan. IF you have a behavior plan, it needs to be revisited, possibly a new FBA done.

dmsfr
by Group Owner & PITA on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I agree with the previous post. In addition, have you talked with his 1:1? Could there be sensory overload or is he distracted? Does your guy get a learning strategy class or any time with the special ed teacher?  That may help if they can sit down with him in a quiet area to see what he is capable of or what is getting in the way of him doing his work. 

maribou
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Here are some things we have in place for our son.  He has a learning skills class that basically acts as a study hall for him.  There is a special ed teacher in there that is in contact with all of his teachers so she can help him with any classes or homework he may be struggling with in a more laid back setting.

He has a card from the counselor so that at anytime if he feels he needs to get away from the class, he can show his teacher the card and go straight to the counselors office.  He doesn't even have to talk to them about it (although that option is always open, too), but he can just go there to get away and (as we call it) detox.

At one point our son had the ability to leave the classroom and go to 'Content Mastery' after the teacher had finished their instruction.  This gave him the ability to sit in a quieter room to work on his assignments, tests, quizzes, etc.  He now only goes there to take quizzes and tests in the classes that are larger (so he isn't stressed about time). 

Have you talked with your son about what is going on and why you would be getting these reports?  He is old enough (and needs to start) verbalizing these things (even with your help).  Also, he will be required to attend any IEP/ARD meetings from this point forward and we have found it helpful for our son to rehearse what he may want to say during these meetings.  In fact, in our last meeting (last week) our son was able to tell the committee exactly what he thought would help him in his English class (he had been struggling).  They were all so impressed with him.  Although, now one of his goals is to participate more in classroom discussions ---- eye ya ya.

Definitely meet with his 1:1 ---- find out their take on the situation (especially in the class where there are so many problems). 

Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)