Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I find a social skills group?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 1401 Total Views

I have seen it suggested that kids with aspergers join a social skills group. How do I go about finding one for my 14 year old son and how do I make him go? I think he would be pretty self conscious about it and I don't want to make his self esteem any worse.

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dmsfr
by Group Owner & PITA on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

You can start by seeing if the school offers one. If they do not, then you can always call local therapists or google social skills and your city/state.  Let me know if you get stuck and I can see what I can help to find.

mattsmom14
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Quoting dmsfr:

You can start by seeing if the school offers one. If they do not, then you can always call local therapists or google social skills and your city/state.  Let me know if you get stuck and I can see what I can help to find.

Thanks! We are about to move to another state in about 3 weeks so I am going to wait until we get out there to look into it. I think I may have better luck out there, we are moving to a bigger city (Las Vegas) so they are bound to have more resources than the area we live in now. Thanks for your input.

cgalasso
by New Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM

How would I go about finding a social skills group in my area?

tpalvado
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

My son goes to a behavioral health clinic. He sees a therapist and has group therapy once a week to work on his social skills. He's been there for 3 years now

SamMom912
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM

My son goes to a sppech pathologists office for social skills support. She pairs kids (groups for 5-6) based on expressive and receptive language deficits and kids with social issues together... The chatty Aspies bring out the chattiness in the kids with language delays without putting too much social pressure on the Aspies, its crazy costly but has been really good for my son. Granted, he is still young.. (7) but its been good. 

Perhaps you can look for something like that? 

filomali
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM

In my city there is a non profit organization for kids with special needs, they organize exercise class, cooking class, social nights, etc, for kids and put them in their age groups.

There is also charities like Variety Children's Charity that organize things for children with disability.

I hope you can find something in your new city.

Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM

if your moving to vegas friend me on facebook and let me see if my sister can get you set up with her daughters MIL she has a teen aspie
http://facebook.com/be.weaver1

SAMI_JO
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:52 AM

They offer it at every school around here. It really helps. Then during the summer he goes to day camp, and they take them on a outing every week to introduce the correct way to interact in public places. But I must say, he doesn't act up with them like he does with me.

merna
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Also goole Autism Society they have chapters in every state and their major counties. 

Also google Meetings.Com etc. I believe they also have support groups listed and you can find the one nearest you.  Your son also may be interested in joining a support group online.  Merna

Bobcatridge
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM

We live in a rural area and it has been very hard to find a social skills group.  My almost 13 yr old attended a social skills group last year.  There were 4 aspie boys (14 to 15 yrs old) and my 11 yr old aspie daughter.  This year they reformated the group to high school only and we can't find another group.  We love the rural environment but it makes getting therapy more challenging.  Moving to a big city should help you find a group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN