Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obsessive Thoughts

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM
  • 22 Replies
  • 1672 Total Views

Hi everyone. My name is Jen and my dd is fifteen and has aspergers. She is in 10th grade, in the honors program. Since starting high school, she has suffered from distractions which affect her ability to concentrate. It affects her grades and seems to be getting worse.

I would like to know if any of you have had experience with this, and if you know of anything that can help her.

Certain sounds, such as chewing or whispering, distract her. We sort of solved that by getting ear plugs, and she can listen to the radio on her phone in some classes, with ear phones.

The worse problem is her obsessive thoughts. Growing up she has always had certain words that invade her thoughts. The latest word is "tritanope". She is proud of herself when she can go all day without saying it, but it still monopolizes her thoughts.

Here is what she posted on Facebook today:

Quote:

I have problems. I can't stop thinking about tritanopes. And I have no control over it. All day. Every day. EVERY KLINGONLICKING SECOND. Right now, I'm thinking about tritanopes. My performance in school has drastically declined because of this. I had nothing below 89%, and now I'm getting 77% in most classes (except Chemistry which is 97%). Why? TRITANOPES. I can't focus on anything at all because I go right back to the infinite tritanope loop. I can't remember formulas or information even if I know it because when I try to recall, I get tritanopetritanopetritanope. I can't put anything in logical progression because tritanope and I try to say things but tritanope and then I forget where I was. I can't focus on tests and then I do terribly, because instead of thinking about calculations I end up writing "tritanope" nonstop and all over my test. I can't hold a conversation very long because it always goes to tritanopes, and if it can't go to tritanopes, I go all distant and thinking about tritanopes nonstop. I can't listen to lessons because I drift off and think about tritanopes the whole time. 

HELP ME.

As you can see, she is really tortured by this.

If anyone knows of a treatment to help her concentrate, I would appreciate your input. I have heard that Aderall helps people with ADHD focus, and I wonder if would help in this instance. She isn't on any medication at all yet.

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dmsfr
by Group Owner & PITA on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, ironically, we are dealing with this right now. My son is on his way to the psychiatrist today. He's in 10th grade too and got obsessive over shop class to the point of having a meltdown that got him two days out of school suspension yesterday. He's been obsessing over completing his shop assignment and just lost it when he found out that he had to be completed by Friday. He has written notes at home about this class. He has made lists of what to do. He has just driven himself crazy. So, we called the psychiatrist for an appointment. Mine is only on a mild antidepressant after some serious bullying last year. I don't want him on more meds but if he is complaining that the thoughts can't stop and it is causing him pain, then I need to get him looked at. 

(HUGS) I really understand. 

PS, I love her every KLINGONLICKING SECOND. Tell her some strange lady thinks she's awesome. 

JLBROOKS
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you (returning hug). I hope everything goes well for you today and your son can get help working this out. My daughter endured bullying in 8th grade. I'm glad she at least doesn't face that in high school. She's in a very academically strenuous program and she definitely has times of stress over it. I want to give her a good start in life of course, but sometimes I wonder if so many challenges, for her, are counter-productive. 

Quoting dmsfr:

Well, ironically, we are dealing with this right now. My son is on his way to the psychiatrist today. He's in 10th grade too and got obsessive over shop class to the point of having a meltdown that got him two days out of school suspension yesterday. He's been obsessing over completing his shop assignment and just lost it when he found out that he had to be completed by Friday. He has written notes at home about this class. He has made lists of what to do. He has just driven himself crazy. So, we called the psychiatrist for an appointment. Mine is only on a mild antidepressant after some serious bullying last year. I don't want him on more meds but if he is complaining that the thoughts can't stop and it is causing him pain, then I need to get him looked at. 

(HUGS) I really understand. 

PS, I love her every KLINGONLICKING SECOND. Tell her some strange lady thinks she's awesome. 

lancet98
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

When obsessive thoughts are this severe, I don't feel they respond to home remedies.   Your doctor can advise you about medications.    You daughter seems to be making a VALIANT effort to deal with it on her own - she is to be commended for that, but I feel that self help methods don't always work.   She sounds like a wonderful young lady.

annelauer
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I am sorry you are going through this. I don't have advice. Our daughter is younger (3) and she obsesses over words (generally written) too. I don't yet know how to help her though. Good luck! Sending hugs and empathy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JLBROOKS
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I'm not looking for a home remedy, necessarily. I'm just asking if anyone else has dealt with this and what worked for them.

I sometimes find it difficult to know which words to use to find answers. She doesn't currently see a therapist but I am searching. So far I am being told good psychiatric help is almost impossible to find in my area. The most highly recommended ones don't take new patients unless your doctor is connected to a certain network, and ours isn't. 

Quoting lancet98:

When obsessive thoughts are this severe, I don't feel they respond to home remedies.   Your doctor can advise you about medications.    You daughter seems to be making a VALIANT effort to deal with it on her own - she is to be commended for that, but I feel that self help methods don't always work.   She sounds like a wonderful young lady.

lancet98
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

You're familiar with the differences between 'therapists' and 'psychiatrist'?

Therapist is kind of a general word, and includes various licensed and unlicensed professionals.

Counselors, social workers, psychologists - all may be referred to as 'therapists'.  They are a lot of help in dealing with neurological issues such as OCD like symptoms (which are common in aspergers and pdd's in general), as they  can coach kids on how to deal with issues that might arise from their symptoms - bullying, frustration, etc.

But it's medications (prescribed be a medical doctor, preferably a psychiatrist) that actually can control the OCD-like symptoms.  

If symptoms are mild, that's when the home remedies come into play - older kids can often learn to 'hold' symptoms temporarily(doing so for a long time is quite painful, it's like trying not to cough when you have bronchitis).

A support group in your area can help with coaching that, but some therapists know about these little tips and tricks, too.  It would be good to find a therapist who was experienced both with aspergers/pdd and ocd-like symptoms.

In the people I deal with(pdd's and other disorders), I generally try to ignore ocd-like symptoms unless they are really disruptive- it sounds like with your young lady it is either very close to or actually disruptive, though.

Quoting JLBROOKS:

I'm not looking for a home remedy, necessarily. I'm just asking if anyone else has dealt with this and what worked for them.

I sometimes find it difficult to know which words to use to find answers. She doesn't currently see a therapist but I am searching. So far I am being told good psychiatric help is almost impossible to find in my area. The most highly recommended ones don't take new patients unless your doctor is connected to a certain network, and ours isn't. 

Quoting lancet98:

djb
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi, my son is pdd-nos and in the 4th gade. Has always been anxious and has had repeated behavior most of his life this far. When he started to have intrusive thoughts the psychiatrist we have been seeing suggested Kapvay (guanfasine). It Has worked really well with the thoughts and alot of the ocd rituals. Another medication tenex is used as well. Something to research for your daughter if you end up needing medication. Good
luck. Good thoughts go out to you. It is not an easy decision, but has made such a difference for my son.
JLBROOKS
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM
This is very helpful. Thank you so much! I will definitely inquire about these medications with her doctor.
Quoting djb:

Hi, my son is pdd-nos and in the 4th gade. Has always been anxious and has had repeated behavior most of his life this far. When he started to have intrusive thoughts the psychiatrist we have been seeing suggested Kapvay (guanfasine). It Has worked really well with the thoughts and alot of the ocd rituals. Another medication tenex is used as well. Something to research for your daughter if you end up needing medication. Good
luck. Good thoughts go out to you. It is not an easy decision, but has made such a difference for my son.
JLBROOKS
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM

lancet98, yes, I am familiar. She is seeing neither a psychiatrist, nor a therapist at the moment. I am seeking referrals. 

Thank you very much for all of the information.

hopefulmind
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi, your daughter is so intelligent! I would see a doctor about that, but I think it will get better.
My son is only 51/2 and I hope one day, he can be as conscious about his situation/problem, as your daughter is about hers.
I know it is not an answer to your question, but you must be proud of her. She will do great in life!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN