Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obsessive Thoughts

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone. My name is Jen and my dd is fifteen and has aspergers. She is in 10th grade, in the honors program. Since starting high school, she has suffered from distractions which affect her ability to concentrate. It affects her grades and seems to be getting worse.

I would like to know if any of you have had experience with this, and if you know of anything that can help her.

Certain sounds, such as chewing or whispering, distract her. We sort of solved that by getting ear plugs, and she can listen to the radio on her phone in some classes, with ear phones.

The worse problem is her obsessive thoughts. Growing up she has always had certain words that invade her thoughts. The latest word is "tritanope". She is proud of herself when she can go all day without saying it, but it still monopolizes her thoughts.

Here is what she posted on Facebook today:

Quote:

I have problems. I can't stop thinking about tritanopes. And I have no control over it. All day. Every day. EVERY KLINGONLICKING SECOND. Right now, I'm thinking about tritanopes. My performance in school has drastically declined because of this. I had nothing below 89%, and now I'm getting 77% in most classes (except Chemistry which is 97%). Why? TRITANOPES. I can't focus on anything at all because I go right back to the infinite tritanope loop. I can't remember formulas or information even if I know it because when I try to recall, I get tritanopetritanopetritanope. I can't put anything in logical progression because tritanope and I try to say things but tritanope and then I forget where I was. I can't focus on tests and then I do terribly, because instead of thinking about calculations I end up writing "tritanope" nonstop and all over my test. I can't hold a conversation very long because it always goes to tritanopes, and if it can't go to tritanopes, I go all distant and thinking about tritanopes nonstop. I can't listen to lessons because I drift off and think about tritanopes the whole time. 

HELP ME.

As you can see, she is really tortured by this.

If anyone knows of a treatment to help her concentrate, I would appreciate your input. I have heard that Aderall helps people with ADHD focus, and I wonder if would help in this instance. She isn't on any medication at all yet.

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
hopesalive
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM

My dd has OCD issues but hers is self harm (ie: biting cuticles, picking scabs where they become really bad sores etc) we have tried Multiple antidepressants and have moved to depikote....Nothing works, the psychiatrist does nothing but put her on drugs (pill pusher really) she see's a councilor and a therapist. We try home remedies and still nothing, the best we do is try to keep moving her obsessions to something else. IDK, maybe pick words out of a dictionary and she can obsess over new words... hugs! 

girl_incognito
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Your poor daughter. I can personally relate I have repetitive obsessive thoughts too. Wellbutrin helped me a lot with this. Idk what else to suggest. Let me think.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JLBROOKS
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

How old is your daughter? Mine has had some self-harm issues. When she was little she banged her head and scratched herself. She has stopped the head banging and mostly the scratching, but she will still put deep scratches on her arms when really upset. I think she has outgrown it for the most part, thank goodness. I'm just glad she hasn't discovered cutting. She still does rituals which I think are more like stemming, such as repetitively slamming herself into chair cushions (like rocking), and fairly constant dancing.

I have always had trouble knowing what to ask from professionals. I wish I could find one I could trust. 

Quoting hopesalive:

My dd has OCD issues but hers is self harm (ie: biting cuticles, picking scabs where they become really bad sores etc) we have tried Multiple antidepressants and have moved to depikote....Nothing works, the psychiatrist does nothing but put her on drugs (pill pusher really) she see's a councilor and a therapist. We try home remedies and still nothing, the best we do is try to keep moving her obsessions to something else. IDK, maybe pick words out of a dictionary and she can obsess over new words... hugs! 

JLBROOKS
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Thank you. :)
Quoting girl_incognito:

Your poor daughter. I can personally relate I have repetitive obsessive thoughts too. Wellbutrin helped me a lot with this. Idk what else to suggest. Let me think.
hopesalive
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM

My dd is 16 she has been "picking" (my description) "scratching" (her description) for years, I have told her Dr and councilors and no one did anything about it. I finally started telling them she is doing a form of cutting. Very hard to speak openly about and I didn't want things on her permanent records but I need to help her so those magic words have helped with getting her some help and a dx and to take it seriously. It is mostly done when nervous,anxious or unsure of herself. She doesn't do it for the control  she does it as a coping mechanism. We keep trying different things for her to cope with but this new school and teachers have taken away all her new coping mechanisms without realizing it and the councilor we have for her just came back from maternity leave and decided to quit after seeing her 3x.... So starting new with only 8 weeks of school left. Errr...

Sometimes you have to pull out the Big Scary words for someone to take notice.

side note she came back from vacation with her bio dad once and she has mosquito bites all over, she had made them into sores and the school asked us if she was burnt with a car lighter. They thought she was abused, I told them she does this to herself. No help from them I got "oh ok, just wondering" 

Quoting JLBROOKS:

How old is your daughter? Mine has had some self-harm issues. When she was little she banged her head and scratched herself. She has stopped the head banging and mostly the scratching, but she will still put deep scratches on her arms when really upset. I think she has outgrown it for the most part, thank goodness. I'm just glad she hasn't discovered cutting. She still does rituals which I think are more like stemming, such as repetitively slamming herself into chair cushions (like rocking), and fairly constant dancing.

I have always had trouble knowing what to ask from professionals. I wish I could find one I could trust. 

Quoting hopesalive:

JLBROOKS
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Oh gosh your dd sounds SO much like mine. It's so hard to lose a professional you can trust and that she is comfortable with, so I really feel for you! Yes you have to know or figure out the "magic words" to get any help at all sometimes. That has always been my struggle - "what do they want to hear this time?" 

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Quoting hopesalive:

My dd is 16 she has been "picking" (my description) "scratching" (her description) for years, I have told her Dr and councilors and no one did anything about it. I finally started telling them she is doing a form of cutting. Very hard to speak openly about and I didn't want things on her permanent records but I need to help her so those magic words have helped with getting her some help and a dx and to take it seriously. It is mostly done when nervous,anxious or unsure of herself. She doesn't do it for the control  she does it as a coping mechanism. We keep trying different things for her to cope with but this new school and teachers have taken away all her new coping mechanisms without realizing it and the councilor we have for her just came back from maternity leave and decided to quit after seeing her 3x.... So starting new with only 8 weeks of school left. Errr...

Sometimes you have to pull out the Big Scary words for someone to take notice.

side note she came back from vacation with her bio dad once and she has mosquito bites all over, she had made them into sores and the school asked us if she was burnt with a car lighter. They thought she was abused, I told them she does this to herself. No help from them I got "oh ok, just wondering" 

Quoting JLBROOKS:

Quoting hopesalive:

hopesalive
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you and prayers to you too...

It is so hard to figure out how to help when no one will help. 

Kimjergen
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

HI Jen, so sorry for the stress I'm sure you are going through worrying about your daughter knowing she feels basically trapped by her obsessive thoughts.  My son is an eleventh grader with similar but different obsessive thoughts issues, at the moment he won't drink anything but distilled water because he seems to fear the possible risk of chemicals and heavy metals etc.  He also refuses to use toothpaste with flouride;(   Anyhow, I am also trying to get my son help with his obsessive thoughts.  I think that puberty makes these things increase in intensity and frequency.  My son is also extremely bright and in gifted classes and earns some of the highest grades in his class but struggles with social issues which of course make his OCD type behaviors worse.  Plus, although he's never been officially diagnosed, we've always believed that he has tourette's not necessarily with the more commonly noticed tics but more with repeating some words because he likes the sound of them (usually high level vocabulary words like your daughters), clearing his throat and nervous pacing so it makes me wonder if your daughter shares any unusual things that might be some sort of tourette like tic physically or verbally?  My son Max has had these type of mild tics come and go over the past few years although most people wouldn't realize they are tics.  Obsessive thoughts are another component of tourettes that is less often known  while tics are just the more well known traits.  Tourette's can present in someone with obessessive thoughts or compulsive behaviours. Just thought it was another avenue you should research and discuss with a medical professional.  I hope things get better for you and your daughter and I hope to get my son the help he needs to not obsess or worry about thoughts like the safety of his drinking water etc.  It's so hard as they reach the teen years because so much is going on in their minds.  Best of luck, keep us posted and  try to encourage your daughter to view the thoughts as a symptom of the disorder rather than a reflection of her personality or internal psychology and encourage her to also read about Tourette's and OCD to see if she sees some of herself and gives you more feedback to better understand how her mind is working etc.  Hugs, Kim

mommyinca
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM
My son is 9 and his obsessive thought is of minecraft the video game. He enjoys it but at the same time it inhibits him from thinking about anything else at all. We have really noticed in the last year how much of an issue this is... Its even hard to convey it in a post but it seriously takes over his life. We have seen psychiatrists since he was 5 and adderall was the first thing we tried. I am very anti meds so it was a huge thing for me to admit that he needed help. But, adder all did not really reduce the obsessive thoughts although it did help with impulse control...it also made him depressed and angry. But, my husband takes it and it works fine for him...anyway, we have tried a number of meds after the adderall and we found that the metatdate works for him now I guess....we have done a lot of talking to drs in the past 6 months and we have been looking to switch to an SSRI like Zoloft. For some reason I am scared to try it. I am weird I guess but I am just nervous. It does look like in the research that theses types of drugs like adderall and metadate can actually worsen the obsessive thoughts and SSRIs are better for it. At least this is what I have read. Its just a difficult place to be in to realize that your child needs help and not know what the right answer is.

Hope you get answers.
JLBROOKS
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Thanks Kim. Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. Ths does give me more to research. Thank you. Best to you and your son.

Quoting Kimjergen:

HI Jen, so sorry for the stress I'm sure you are going through worrying about your daughter knowing she feels basically trapped by her obsessive thoughts.  My son is an eleventh grader with similar but different obsessive thoughts issues, at the moment he won't drink anything but distilled water because he seems to fear the possible risk of chemicals and heavy metals etc.  He also refuses to use toothpaste with flouride;(   Anyhow, I am also trying to get my son help with his obsessive thoughts.  I think that puberty makes these things increase in intensity and frequency.  My son is also extremely bright and in gifted classes and earns some of the highest grades in his class but struggles with social issues which of course make his OCD type behaviors worse.  Plus, although he's never been officially diagnosed, we've always believed that he has tourette's not necessarily with the more commonly noticed tics but more with repeating some words because he likes the sound of them (usually high level vocabulary words like your daughters), clearing his throat and nervous pacing so it makes me wonder if your daughter shares any unusual things that might be some sort of tourette like tic physically or verbally?  My son Max has had these type of mild tics come and go over the past few years although most people wouldn't realize they are tics.  Obsessive thoughts are another component of tourettes that is less often known  while tics are just the more well known traits.  Tourette's can present in someone with obessessive thoughts or compulsive behaviours. Just thought it was another avenue you should research and discuss with a medical professional.  I hope things get better for you and your daughter and I hope to get my son the help he needs to not obsess or worry about thoughts like the safety of his drinking water etc.  It's so hard as they reach the teen years because so much is going on in their minds.  Best of luck, keep us posted and  try to encourage your daughter to view the thoughts as a symptom of the disorder rather than a reflection of her personality or internal psychology and encourage her to also read about Tourette's and OCD to see if she sees some of herself and gives you more feedback to better understand how her mind is working etc.  Hugs, Kim

YOU DON'T HAVE A SOUL. YOU ARE A SOUL. YOU HAVE A BODY. ~TS ELIOT

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)