Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guardianship

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 514 Total Views

Has anyone tried to do a guardianship without an attorney?  I was just looking at the paperwork and it seems so overwhelming.   Yet, a friend of ours who recently filed for her son used an attorney and she said it was very expensive.  We just don't have that kind of money.

Any advice?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jcdmom
by Admin Debbie on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Are you thinking of doing this now? I thought age 18.
bethsbunch
by Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jcdmom:

Are you thinking of doing this now? I thought age 18.

It has to be completed before they are 18.  Josh turns 16 this summer and we were told the earlier, the better as far as educating ourselves and figuring out how to do it so it is done before they turn 18.

Rosebud27aj
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My step brother went right to the court house to do guardianship of his son. He filled paperwork out, saw a judge that day and the decision was made right then and there....no attorney needed...

saltycoqui
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Last year I asked the school parent coordinator about this and she told me to wait until this year now that my daughter is 17. She could use my guidance but I'm not sure if I need to do this. I need to decide very soon because the paperwork has to be filed before she turns 18, so I'm told.
Jenibob
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Most counties have a legal aid society and most offer appointments for families for a minimal fee.  You may want to check with your county legal aid society or bar association to ask if they offer such a service.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)