Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As you all know that ds is almost 15, and very aggressive. I also have to take care of my mom with Alzehiemers, my dad with chronic kidney disease and high blood pressure, and my health is going downhill. Me, my mom and dad all use the same family doctor, and it was put to us on Wednesday that we had to put him somewhere. (Usually they just say get him some help. Which we already do.) And when I picked him up from camp on Friday the Psychologist there strongly suggested a group home. He is an only child and only grandchild. How do we let him go? How do we even start the process? When I went in to the meeting on Friday with camp Psych, she seen all the bruises, (which he had told her during the day about fighting with me. He blames it on his step-dad who is in a nursing home), she said that it was considered domestic violence, and was required to report it. What do I do? Yes he is very abusive and controlling, but he is all I have?

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
SAMI_JO
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Amy, who made your signature dangle? I love it.

Alynn74
by Admin Amy on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I honestly don't know. I made that when I first joined CM in 2007. I think maybe glitter graphics but I am just guessing.

Quoting SAMI_JO:

Amy, who made your signature dangle? I love it.

Alynn74
by Admin Amy on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep. Just looked at it after I posted my response-it's glitter graphics and you can click on the link right underneath it.

archangel1
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Take care of yourself FIRST OR the rest of it will not matter because you will not be there. You have tons on your plate but you cannot benefit anyone if you are not at least halfway healthy. Yes, by all means, see if you can find out and visit the place he will go to. As far as hating you, there will be therapists at the facility to help your son sort out his feelings. If there should be an altercation violent enough to end your life, I think he would be more out of control when the state stepped in to put him in a facility. At least if YOU are doing it, on some level, he would have some kind of "comfort" knowing family put him there for the best reason possible. Blessings!!!

SAMI_JO
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I so hope you are right. But he always thinks that everyone does everything to hurt him only. Not because we love him. He is not wanting to understand or get help. The violence goes on and on every day.
momto3nuts
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Getting outside help will be best for everyone. Putting him in a group home is not getting rid,of him, it is a step in the direction of change. I wish you the best of luck, we went through a similar situation when my son was 13.

SAMI_JO
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM

No one can tell me what the process is for a group home, and the ones that I have checked into have a minimum of 3 year waiting list.

momto3nuts
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

It varies depending by state. Where I live group homes for children who are violent typically only take them through state recommended avenues. You will have to research homes around you and call them. Voluntary placement is completely different than state mandated or assisted. Ask your doctor or psychologist since they were the ones who brought this up to you.

injoynature
by Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Has there been any research to show a link between Aspergers and Altzheimers?  My Grandma and Great Grandma has Alzheimers and I have a cousin with Aspergers too

A Group Home was a very good decision for a friend of mine.

dmsfr
by Group Owner & PITA on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried DSS yet? I know they may make you sit on the phone for a while. You can also try your insurance and see if they have any to recommend. You can also call Child Protective Services. They can do a "voluntary" admit for him and then he could qualify for group homes run by Child Protective that specialize in kids with mental health issues. You can also call the local hospital to let them know the situation and that you need a group home. They sometimes can put you in touch with the social worker or may ask you to bring him in for an evaluation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)