Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Has anyone else experienced rebellion in their teen that's on the spectrum?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

Hi all!  I'm Angie and I have 3 children. A 16yo ds a 13yo ds (Asperger's diagnosis since age 6) and a 12 yo dd. I was wondering if anyone else with teen boys on the spectrum could give advice. He's really starting to be more rebellious. Today he refused to go to school and had a complete meltdown because his glasses broke and the new pair won't be here for almost 2 weeks!

frustrated

by on May. 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jamesmom34
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

My 11  year old got braces a few weeks back and a bracket fell off his front tooth because they couldn't put the wires on the same time they did the brackets so there wasn't anything preventing the bracket from coming completely off the tooth.  Well my son couldn't deal with that on any level....and he was not going to school with one naked tooth in the front!  I didn't realize this at first because he camouflaged his distress as a gastro problem and told me his gut hurt and he couldn't go to the bathroom, he cried and even let me give him a suppository, yes ladies he took one up the pooper just to avoid going to school with a naked tooth.  I found out later that day that day after we went to the Orthodontist to have a new bracket glued on that he really didn't have a gastro problem but just couldn't face the prospect of being teased about his tooth so I can relate to your son not wanting to go to school without his glasses because they are part of his face and he feels different/funny without them and may feel like he will be teased without them.

dmsfr
by Group Owner & PITA on May. 3, 2014 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine tried the "I'm not going to school" thing a few years back. I took the plugs out of every electronic in the house and then put the TV in my trunk. I told him good luck with his day home and I'd see him after work....He decided to go to school.

Alynn74
by Admin Amy on May. 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Mine hasn't refused to go to school. He has told me no to my face when asked to do his chores and told me that was my job not his. Fortunately for him and me, he is not like his older sister who's on the spectrum. I can give him the eye and just say "now" in a very quiet calm voice and he snaps to it.

thingz123
by Admin Cheryl on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM

When I hear "No!", my immediate response is to state that I will take away video game time and/or computer usage. This usually takes care of the problem; in the few cases it doesn't, I go ahead with the threat, he serves his deprivation time and we talk about why he isn't being allowed to have the privileges. Then, it's a while before he says it again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)