Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you think generic prescription medication is as effective as name brand?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM
  • 4 Replies

Why or why not?

by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
darcyh5
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I do, I rarely buy name brand.  I used to work for a pathologist, and every medication, over the counter or prescription was generic.

offrdngal
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Some of them are, some of them aren't.  Example:  I use Claritin D 24hr, every day (I have allergen induced asthma).  When the generic came out, I went to Walgreens and bought a box.  Their brand relieved most of my symptoms, but not as many as Claritin.  It was tolerable though (if they ever run out of Claritin I can grab a box).  When Walmart came out with their version, I tried it.  Their brand doesn't work for me AT ALL.  Very rarely do I use anything but Claritin.

It's the same with some of the cough medicines that I've tried.  Some work, some don't.

Terri

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM

In my experience the majority of generics are as effective as the brand name. I personally have not ever had an issue with a generic medication but I have a friend who cannot take the generic of her thyroid medication.

dhampshire63
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Definetely depends on which medicine it is. Something I always do is compare ingredients, and most of the time they are exactly the same. That's when I go ahead and get the generic and it works just as good. Mind you my family rarely needs any prescription drugs, I'm just mostly talking about pain releivers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN