Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone age 36 with their first child? Like to hear from and about you.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:09 PM
  • 3 Replies

I waited to have a child on purpose, so I could have me time, husband time, career time and I knew that all I wanted in life was to be a mom so now I have it and I rarely have any regrets but sometimes miss the spontaneous trips ect...  I feel so much more emotionally ready at this age to have a child because of life experience and wisdom, but mostly because I know what I want and what I don't want out of life, friendships, career and family.  I am done with putting time into people that are bad for me to be around and people pleasing, or trying to live up to everyone elses expectations.  I do things because I want to not because I have to or am mad to feel guilty about it.  How do you feel and think about your situation, interested in knowing.

tazkitty

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
momofmissE
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Well, I was 37 when I had mine.  I too always wanted to be a mother, but I am glad I waited.  I, like you, feel I am more mature in every aspect of my life and ready to raise a child.  I also miss the spontanous trips or even the extra cash we had before our child.  But you know, I would not change one thing.  Our daughter has made our life much more fulfilling.

barbecuing

gerifeld
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I am 35 with my first children(twins).  We had trouble getting pregnant and aftertrying for 2 years with the assistance of IVF I finally got pregnant.  I was 32 when we started trying and I am glad we waited a bit so we had time to do the things we wanted to do before having kids as it is now harder to travel and go places.  I don't regret waiting and now am mature enough and ready to be a mom.

Geri

cascadesunshine
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM
I had my first a few months after I turned 35. Most of it has been good for the waiting - we've been through hell and high water already, we've learned from the challenges that friends have had with their kids, and we've cut out much of the superficial BS that only created heartburn and drama.

One thing that has bothered me (that I didn't anticipate) is that I had her after I lost all of my grandparents. I treasure the time I had with my great-grandparents, but she will never have that chance & I've felt pretty guilty about it.

The medical end was a PITA, but things could have been much worse in my 20's because I had the same health issues and I wouldn't have been monitored as closely.

The trips happen, but they require more flexibility. "Plans" tend to fly out the window in favor of what's working and keeping DD from being that baby. The worst was getting stuck on the freeway (sudden snow and ice) with a hungry baby.

It's all been a matter of perspective. I get more time to enjoy her than my mom did with me & that's been worth it.

Heather

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)