Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gluten Free Diet Websites? Tips?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:56 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have a friend who's daughter has to eat a gluten free diet.  It's very hard for her to shop at brand name stores when there is not much to pick from and it costs a small fortune to pay for gluten free foods.  Any tips?  Anyone else out there experiencing the same situation?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tramcd
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Have her try this website they list a products by general mills that are gluten free plus have a lot of reciepes to make http://www.liveglutenfreely.com/. I found it through this website www.celiac,org.  I have been talking to another mom in another group about this because there is a possibility that my son has this. Hope this helps some.

baby boy           toddler girl

Aiden 11/24/2008           Meredith 08/10/2007 

owensmom34
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Quoting tramcd:

Have her try this website they list a products by general mills that are gluten free plus have a lot of reciepes to make http://www.liveglutenfreely.com/. I found it through this website http://www.celiac,org/.  I have been talking to another mom in another group about this because there is a possibility that my son has this. Hope this helps some.

Thank you soooo much!  I really appreciate the info.

JoysMom
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

The previous post had great websites. I was going to suggest looking up and into celiac groups, although celiacs also avoid milk protein it's a good way to get information.

80sfan
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

my son is on the gluten free diet, we buy from Publix Green life and Earth fare, greenlife do you have any of these near you?

Glutenfreemall.com - they have lots of stuff.

shymom24
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I am a celiac and so are my kids so we have to eat the GF diet as well. Your friend CAN shop at normal stores and do it for a decent price. She just has to take time to learn the ingrediants on the good an bad list, manufactuers and how to make her own stuff. If she is paying a small fortune she is doing it the lazy way. Im sorry that sounds harsh. What I mean is she is doing it the shop health foods and buying only products that say "gluten free" on them. There are TONS of brand name products that are gluten ;free, you just have to know which ones. That is where the good/bad list comes in and where calling manufactures is a great idea. For instance - instead of paying $10 for a loaf of bread she could buy a bread machine ($40) and make her own loaves of bread for $2 a peice and frankly it tastes so much better. celiac.org has the good/ bad list of ingrediants.

Angelmomov3boyz  created this wonderful pic for me!

Living life through the eyes of a child!

shymom24
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Not all celiacs have to avoid milk protiens. Our family is all celiac and none of us are caesin intolerant.

Quoting JoysMom:

The previous post had great websites. I was going to suggest looking up and into celiac groups, although celiacs also avoid milk protein it's a good way to get information.

Angelmomov3boyz  created this wonderful pic for me!

Living life through the eyes of a child!

Piano4God
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Land O'Lakes has a whole section of gluten-free recipes.

http://www.landolakes.com/mealideas/gluten-free-recipes.cfm

stummegirl
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I have LGS and Candidiasis...I have to have Gluten Free/ Dairy Free/ SUGAR FREE/ Mold Free Diet!!!!!   YUP  so all I can eat are Veggies/ Whole grains (gluten free of course) Beans and lentils/ only certain nuts / meats.

I go to 3 different stores so it's never easy for me either. What I do is buy lots of stuff like plain corn tortillas and freeze them...quinoa by the buckets, quinoa pastas and wild and brown rice...then I go from there...taco's, spaghetti, etc. They have certain gluten free breads but most have yeast so I can't go there but you should be able to...So a great one is PB&J. Rice pasta and maybe you can use cheese...My family can but I cant have cheese.

I also love my veggies with olive oil..my favorite is heat the pan with ollive oil until it's SUPER HOT...add Spinach, broccoli, green onions, green peppers, sliced carrots, celery and whatever veggies you want (add all at once and back off because it splatters) but the hotter the better because it keeps the vitamins in tact.  I add Sea Salt and a few dashes of Cumin....MY FAVORITE and my son actually likes it. I use that in things like tacos...rice...quinoa....mix it in with hommade salsa with gluten free rice chips...yum./

Good luck...also there is a magazine called Living Without but it is very expensive

http://www.livingwithout.com/?p=all_glcd&s=gl_pd&st=ppc&gclid=CKuu9rKtwpwCFQ9JagodJQYSog

stummegirl
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:42 PM

By the way if you have a big lots near you or 99cent store they both have gluten free items every once in a while. The ones near me do...I bought my chips from big lots for 59cents

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)